Ideas for big predator proof run?

My apron is about 12", with cinder blocks sitting on top of it. The tunnels we've found go right under the edge of it into the run. I have no idea how they're tunneling when the ground is so cold and hard! On the other hand I didn't find any new tunnels today so perhaps yesterday's 15-degree weather finally froze the ground too hard to dig.

I dislike the idea of rats but what really frightens me is the thought of a weasel entering through a rat hole.

My apron is about 12", with cinder blocks sitting on top of it. The tunnels we've found go right under the edge of it into the run. I have no idea how they're tunneling when the ground is so cold and hard! On the other hand I didn't find any new tunnels today so perhaps yesterday's 15-degree weather finally froze the ground too hard to dig.

I dislike the idea of rats but what really frightens me is the thought of a weasel entering through a rat hole.
Are the cinder blocks at the end of the apron? I wonder if they are signalling to the critters to 'start digging here.'

They're right up against the sides of the run, with 6-8" of hardware cloth extending past them. I think we just have particularly clever rodents 😬
So your apron is effectively only 6-8" wide. 18-24" wide would've been better, NO cinder blocks, as that would again reduce the actual protection of the apron as critters will start digging at the edge of the blocks where they can back up easily to find the actual edge.

About to move to a new place and I’ve been building a new coop in the garage to prep. We currently have an adequate size coop and run for the 6 hens we have, but the run definitely feels small to me for full time. I let them into a janky extended space that’s covered when I’m home but really want a big secure run at this new place. So many hawks in the area and I can’t wait to not worry about them all the time. I know how to predator proof well, just need some inspiration for general design.

I’d love to see ideas for a big secure run if anyone has one they love or wish they had!
I am in the same temporary situation with the garage. They're ranging free when the sun's out, under watch of my dog and either my family or myself; and they're getting pretty bold about the property.

They'll probably be disappointed when I set them up in their final spot, but it's still going to be a pretty large run. Just treated 8' 4x4s with welded wire and netting over top around their new house.

The final plan is to put an auto door to the yard from the run after the guard geese are raised. That way I can let them out when the weather is nice on to an acre so they don't beat up the run too bad over time.

So your apron is effectively only 6-8" wide. 18-24" wide would've been better, NO cinder blocks, as that would again reduce the actual protection of the apron as critters will start digging at the edge of the blocks where they can back up easily to find the actual edge.
Are you suggesting that after laying down an 18” horizontal apron I do not place large granite rocks on top?

Are you suggesting that after laying down an 18” horizontal apron I do not place large granite rocks on top?

Yes.

Either cover the wire apron with mulch or let the grass grow up through it.

Digging predators start their dig at the edge that they can see -- the base of the coop/run wall. Then they come down on top of the wire and don't understand why they can't dig it up and why it hurts their paws. So they stop.

If you put rocks or pavers on top of the wire they start digging the edge of the rocks or pavers that they can see and end up going under the outside edge of the wire from back there.

Yes.

Either cover the wire apron with mulch or let the grass grow up through it.

Digging predators start their dig at the edge that they can see -- the base of the coop/run wall. Then they come down on top of the wire and don't understand why they can't dig it up and why it hurts their paws. So they stop.

If you put rocks or pavers on top of the wire they start digging the edge of the rocks or pavers that they can see and end up going under the outside edge of the wire from back there.
Ah fascinating! That makes sense. I am also digging hardware cloth 12” into the ground at the edge of the run but understand the deterrent effect of no granite on top of the horizontal skirt. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom