Ideas for cooking 9 month old hen?

Morrigan

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 9, 2014
N. California
I have a 9 month old hen resting in my refrigerator, and I am wondering if anyone here has cooked hens in this age range other than turning them into stock/canned chicken. For chickens over a year, I have typically either pressure canned, or made into sausage.

But, I'm wondering if 9 months is still young enough that I might get good results by doing a slow roast -- either uncovered or in a dutch oven. Technically they aren't considering "stewing fowl" in the old cookbooks until they are a year old.

Anyone very cooked a hen at this age?

Last edited:
Curious why cook a 9mo pullet?
She was part of a Spring hatch I raised and kept for the purpose of getting eggs over the winter. She was always a bit of a spotty layer and then stopped completely in October. She seemed totally healthy, just not a good layer. I was processing some cockerels today and decided to put her in with them.

I always like to have 4 or 5 keeper spring chicks every year for winter eggs, which means I'm usually in a position where I need to cull 4 or 5 hens to make room. So, I'm always on the lookout for volunteers or, as the saying goes, an egg a day keeps the hatchet away.

She seemed totally healthy, just not a good layer. I was processing some cockerels today and decided to put her in with them.

Makes sense.

I'd think a moist roasting technique would probably work. Something more pot-roasting than stewing, but not dry heat.

Do you ever roast a chicken in a covered pan with onions, carrots, and celery around it?

No, but that sounds like it might be the way to go.

You put the seasoned chicken in the pan on a low rack, surround it with the vegetables, add a little liquid to the bottom -- stock, wine, or just plain water -- and cook it low and slow with the lid down tight.

You can brown the skin first in the pan on the stove if you want to.

I cook my pullets that age the same way I cook my 23 week old cockerels. I use a baking dish with a tight cover to keep the moisture in.

Cut her into serving pieces, rinse off, and coat those pieces with herbs. I use oregano and basil and may add thyme or parsley. Whatever herbs make you happy. Put in a carrot and stalk of celery an onion and a clove of garlic. I do not add any liquid.

Bake covered at 250 Fahrenheit for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. When finished gently remove with a slotted spoon. The meat can easily fall off of the bone. You'll probably have a half cup or so of liquid. Since it is a pullet you'll probably also have a fair amount of fat, much more than you get from a cockerel. De-fat the liquid and you have great broth.

Back
Top Bottom