Ideas for deterring dog from licking wound?

She doesn’t seem to know what to think but the sock is working
ACF6020C-F7B3-4503-BB98-BABE0CB277DB.jpeg

She doesn’t seem to know what to think but the sock is working
View attachment 2972538
Glad its working. She's adorable.
If it starts to irritate her that she has something on her foot, you can snick off the end of the sock to expose her foot/pad (thats one of the tactics we used with our old girl in a two year battle with a lick granuloma)
If it becomes more of a problem: if you can get her to a vet for a laser therapy session, that might really jumpstart healing. Around here, its only about $25 per session and 100% worth it.

Last edited:
It won’t prevent licking per se, but when I have to distract my dogs for any given length of time I go to the freezer & grab a venison or beef bone. Our butcher includes them for us for the dogs. Keeps them busy for a few days…if you happen to have one or access to somebody who could let you have one!

It won’t prevent licking per se, but when I have to distract my dogs for any given length of time I go to the freezer & grab a venison or beef bone. Our butcher includes them for us for the dogs. Keeps them busy for a few days…if you happen to have one or access to somebody who could let you have one!
The problem I encounter with bones is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I usually don't have one,,,,, and the dog wants the one in my leg. :old:lau :gig

Yesterday my border collie cut her leg on some ice (chasing the barn cats) and I’m trying to figure out how to get her to stop licking at it. I’ve been treating it and keeping it bandaged to keep her from aggravating it, but she’s a chronic licker (always licking her paws, furniture, the floor, other animals, etc). During the day I can keep an eye on her and stop her, but last night she tore off the bandage while I was asleep and reopened her wound. I’m way out in the country so it’s not very easy to just run to the store or order products online and get them in a reasonable amount of time, so any ideas for home remedies to keep a dog from licking at a wound?
Try some Bitter Apple. You can get it at the pet supply. Can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom