ideas for free/cheap materials

You can also try FreeCycle.org for scrap building materials or paint or chicken wire. Don't know if you've ever used it before, but you can request for shingles (someone might have a few laying around left over from one of their projects), or scrap lumber, or old crates to use as nest boxes, etc.

The nearest Habitat for Humanity "Restore Store" to Eatonville is in Olympia.

We too subscribed to the theory of "paint and trim can cover a lot of ugly." We used a lot of scrap wood to build ours.

At first, I was going to use a bunch of pallet boards to make the walls. After busting about 3 or 4 pallets and determining I'd need to bust another half dozen pallets or so to completely enclose my coop, I decided that buying a couple $18 sheets of plywood siding was money well spent. We still manged to keep our costs real low by using pallet boards and some scrap wood (wife scored on some cheap oops paint). In all, I'm pleased that we managed to control costs and stay married.
smile.png

we used pallets, took them apart and used them as siding. cute look and free! found roof shingles on craigs list for free, just had to go pick them up. good luck!
welcome-byc.gif

In this ecconomy, things might be scarce, but if you have any building projects going on around your area, they will usually give you scrap plywood, etc. Saves them money by not having to pick it up and haul it. Be sure to ask the supers permission. I`ve built a lot of stuff like that.......Pop

Quote:
Pallets are a great idea. There is someone who built his entire coop out of pallets. Can't rememver where I saw it. Maybe somewhere on this site.

Around here there are warehouses that advertise free pallets.

I'd second the pallets, they are usually hickory and oak. They will rot quickly unless sealed. Also, home construction site dumpster diving.

I just left Home Depot. I found 5 gallons of tinted stain(exterior) for $20.00. Usually $137.00. If you have construction going on in the area, ask the builder/super if you can look for material in the dumpster. Good luck

welcome-byc.gif
Craigslist is great! We built our coop and run big enough to house 15 chickens for a total of $50.

Back
Top Bottom