Ideas for re-homeing rooster FAST!

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
I think I am posting this in the right place???

Ok, so I am panicking here!

We live in a thickly settled neighbor hood. I have 3 roos.
This past week the roosters have been crowing like CRAZY!!!
I am afraid one of the neighbors will complain. we had someone complained a few years back. the board of health came out and said if someone complains again we would have to get rid of ALL the roosters.

So now I cant get them to be quite. They are crowing at 5:00 AM and literally ALL day! I don’t know why this is happening all of a sudden?? the neighbors house is 110 feet from the Coop!!!!

I posted flyers at two feed stores. I need to find a home for a roo fast, or I might have to give away all of them if someone complains!!!!!!!!!

I need Ideas how to re-home a roo fast. To a Good home.

Please HELP!

There's always freezer camp. Everyone and their brother have roosters available all the time, everywhere, there generally isn't a fast way to find a "good home" for them.... even if you give them to someone, they may end up in someone else's freezer anyway.. free chicken = free dinner. You may as well enjoy it if you are not vegan or something.

Last edited:
Well, roosters come with raising chickens. You either breed them or eat them because they don't lay eggs and most people don't need more than one. So most people that would take them are taking them to eat.

First, that is nothing you have control over once the bird leaves your care. It's not yours anymore, and I doubt that anyone would sign a contract stating that the bird would never be eaten.

What are you going to do if no one wants them for pets and the city says they have to go? Face the facts...It doesn't matter how much you love him, unless by some miracle you have a roo someone needs, then he may end up someones dinner... even if he goes to a home and out lives his usefulness, he may still end up in the freezer. Besides....... people lie. I know that sounds cold, and I hope you can find them a home.

Try advertising on your area craigs list and see if there are any livestock swaps or maybe a chickenstock in your area. You may be able to sell or trade him or see if there is a local rescue that could make a suggestion for you.. I see them on petfinder - but generally it's hard to guarantee he'll never end up in a freezer.

"I don’t know why this is happening all of a sudden??" Because they are maturing into breeding males, it's natural... this is how they establish themselves in the flock and alert other males of their presence. It will get worse as they mature... and they will crow and crow and crow! I know, I have 6 roos, most are going to the freezer, including one that I like, but he has a bad leg so in he goes.

Last edited:
Post him for free on a feed store bulletin board. You did post your ad here in the classifieds, right? There is also the farm section of Craigslist.

And I agree--you cannot dictate what will happen to him after he leaves your place. Roosters are a dime a dozen and often, unless it's a rare breed or a spectacular example of his breed, they can be hard to rehome.

I LOVE this Rooster!
there is completely NO way I am going to let ANYONE eat him
Tell whoever gets him to not tell you what they plan to do with him. If he is a mutt he will eventually make it to the stew pot. There is no need for a mutt rooster to be fed by someone else because you love him... think about what you are asking someone to do. Especially with the price of feed. Sorry for being blunt.
smile.png

Eat him. We just ate our first roo this past weekend.

It is hard to go through the emotions that YOU feel during this process, but the outcome is one of three options; you eat one bird, you kill all birds, or someone else kills the bird. Which would you rather have?

Back
Top Bottom