Ideas how to safe proof a coop from tropical storms and huricanes

Quote:
You know, I never thought of that. Do you have pictures, or links to how to do that? We also have a well and when the power goes out we rely on the drums & jugs of water that have been pre-filled before the storm. But a hand pump would be so veryvery helpful. What did you do, how did you do it? Most other folks rely on their noisy generators and having access to gallons of gasoline to power them.

Quote:
We were lucky that the property already had the pipes and everything already in. The hand pump just didn't work. We just had to replace the pump. It's just one of the old type pitcher pumps, but it's better than no water.

Still researching a hand pump that will actually pump water into the house.

we have a well on ours from the irragation system that was here. We never used it because pipes were broken and such. The well had a pump and my idiot DH gave it away! Could have killed him cause that would come in handy. those hand pumps are just awesome! Now i want one................

I am in Polk County so if anyone needs to come into central fl............................get in touch with me! I don't have alot of land but i have space for a moterhome and will pack em in if needed!!!!!! I am kinda scared of the oak trees here on my property! Thinking of getting a new chainsaw and trimming them up.

As long as you have a plan, you should be OK! Of course in the moment is another issue....LMAO! I can see it now......chicken chucking and running around getting all my critters! RUN FOREST RUN......................

If you have the sandy soil that a lot of Fla has, your trees probably have pretty good roots stretching way down into the water table. If you trim, please don't trim them like the power company does. I swear those poor trees fall over in over a year just because of shear embarrassment of what was done to them. Oak trees are powerful and dignified. Trim their small branches and those that look weak. They call them the "Mighty Oak" for a reason

Last edited:
Quote:
they need to be trimmed way back!!!!! I am lucky that the one in the front is back enough. We didn't get the V effect. 3 have fallen on our block so they ain't that mighty! I would love to hack down the one in the front cause it is over our house. The one in the back is "mother oak" she protects my kids from the sun and we will have someone knowledged about her to come out and cut her. I need to make sure they are not rotten. That's how one fell and the other 2 fell in the hurricanes.

Our coop is the place to be to ride out a hurricane. It was originally intended to be a shed for the batteries for a solar system (which hasn't happened yet) so it's about 2 ft in the ground. The support beams are all 4 by 4 and the walls are corrugated steel and 2 by 6's, everything is screwed together. The only problem would be the roof and given enough time it can be tied down with screws and more 2 by 6's. We went through to many hurricanes here, named and unnamed to be caught unready. Being close to 75 we're just far enough away to miss the worse of the flooding and it drains that way really fast.
There was about 3 inches of water after Wilma but it was gone within 24 hours. No power isn't much of a problem anymore, we've learned how to live without power from Charlie, it was almost 2 weeks before we got our power back. I can't leave the area, the mail must go out, we usually get the day of the hurricane off and then, back to work!

Back
Top Bottom