1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ideas need ideas- chickens and peacocks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hardmanzz93, Jan 4, 2011.

1. hardmanzz93

hardmanzz93 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    im building a run for 12 layers..
    but am also adopting 2 peacocks im just making a day run they are locked away at night but im using 6ft chicken wire and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about adapting it for the peacocks i dont have much knowlage on them jsut that you need high roosts and what not. possibly someone with peacocks could share what they have...[​IMG]

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Hmm... I'm not sure. The one person I've seen with peacocks had them in a coop that was too small, and their tails looked ratty from rubbing on the wire.

Keep in mind that chicken wire won't keep predators out, it is only designed to keep chickens in. It is a good idea to use something stronger or reinforce the lower half of it with stronger fencing.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Where are you?

4. hardmanzz93

Jan 4, 2011
    im in australia..whys that?

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Here is the BYC Peafowl section it will be extremely useful for your many peafowl questions:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=51

I wouldn't keep peafowl in the same pen as chickens, chickens can give peafowl and turkeys diseases. Some people do keep them together, but it might be best if you don't just for the health of your peafowl.[​IMG]

Peafowl that are free-range like to roost up high, so the higher the roost, the better. My pen for 5 peafowl (3 peahens 2 peacocks) is 40x50 ft. and at the highest point it is 15ft tall. My pen is big for five peafowl though so it doesn't have to be that huge but big enough for a fully tailed peacock. Peacocks need at least a 6ft tall top so they have room to display, but it would be better to have it higher for higher perches.

Here are my pen photos, I use netting over the top, it is hard to see the netting in the photos but it is there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck I love peafowl!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  6. hardmanzz93

Jan 4, 2011
    thanks and yes it will be bigger than 6ft its just there not very old and will be temporary...they are chicks with the mum still..iv read alot about not putting them together also but then again iv read alot of it bieng ok... i dont know...when i have introduced all my hens and chicks then they are coming but by then i will have finished my new run and the peafowls will have the old one...[​IMG]

7. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Yep basically the chicken poop can cary stuff you don't want the peafowl to be around all the time in a pen, free-range it is okay. It isn't good to have peachicks with chickens since chicks are very fragile. You can keep them in a nextdoor pen as some people say if they are not in a chicken pen, but next to one they will build up an amunity to the stuff chickens carry. Since you are getting chicks it will be a few years before they get a train (the tail) so you will have plenty of time to make them a nice pen for when they are big pretty adults. It takes a peacock 3 years before he has a full train and from then on it gets bigger and more brillant the older he gets. Peachicks should be great to work with, you can tame them and even teach them some tricks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by