Ideas Needed- so devastated

Threecritters

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Lansing
Had a hatch over the last couple days that we expected 31 out of 39 (by candling) and only ended up with 15. We opened the remaining eggs as candling showed they were gone and 16 were nearly or fully developed but never broke the membrane into the air cell. Our humidity was 25-35% for the first 19 days and 60-75% for the remainder. The temperature was steady at 99.5 with maybe half degree fluctuation either direction (2 thermometers in the bator- one digital, one scientific- both in a water wiggler).

The 15 that hatched are all healthy and running around.

What could have caused so many fully formed chicks to never enter the air sac?? Please help!!
hit.gif

that's odd, usually dry incubation works for what i've heard.
now im scared, im incubating at 25%
hide.gif

did the embryos look dry to you?

I have had that issue also, some have said that during shipping even if the yolk is not messed up the membranes can be and that can cause the issue. No one has said exactly why but it does happen sorry for the loss but congrats on the new babies

The little dead chicks in their eggs were not dry..most of them looked totally normal. A few had very sticky super-glue feeling good on them. Could it be bacteria? What causes super glue goo?

I should add also that we have done 2 previous hatches in the same 'bator and had good success. We sanitize between hatches.

Please help! I want to get some more eggs in...but I don't want this to happen again!!
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine are eggs I picked up locally...so they weren't shipped. Would an issue during transport allow them to get all the way to fully formed before dying?

were these shipped eggs? this has happened so many times it's not funny, it's a wonder any hatch with all they go through in shipping, it does a number on them. It really may not be anything you did at all...

Quote:
Mine are eggs I picked up locally...so they weren't shipped. Would an issue during transport allow them to get all the way to fully formed before dying?

ok, you posted right before me. how the eggs were stored matters too. I bought some show quality eggs from someone, only half hatched. I don't think they were turned or moved while they were collected and some were even upside down
hmm.png
it could also be the health of the parents. unfortunately there are so many variables it is hard to pinpoint the cause.

Quote:

ok, you posted right before me. how the eggs were stored matters too. I bought some show quality eggs from someone, only half hatched. I don't think they were turned or moved while they were collected and some were even upside down
hmm.png
it could also be the health of the parents. unfortunately there are so many variables it is hard to pinpoint the cause.

Would storage and/or transport issues allow them to be fully formed and then die though....or would it keep them from developing at all? Mine were formed but didn't hatch...

mine were formed but didn't hatch too. I had a great hatch with the eggs that were set with them so I knew it wasn't my bator.....
eta- mine were line bred, he was an old timer that hadn't introduced new blood in a long while, imo that weakens the line after a certain amount of time....like I said, could be the laying flock...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom