Ideas On A Bantam Flock?

That’s so cool. I’ll have to look into them more. I had a cochin Bantam frizzle that was a pistol she kept all the LF in line, sadly she passed away last fall at age 10 her best friend was my LF Brahma hen.
Very sorry for your loss....:hugs She lived a full, happy life. :) Bantams, though of diminutive size, certainly have enough attitude to go around! :lol: So endearing. :love

~Alex

D'uccles are the best. Seramas are often nice too. You should also check out Dutch, D'anvers, Nankins, and Pyncheons. They are some of my other favorite bantams. I mostly only had true bantams. Cochin bantams are nice too and EE bantams are Ok (the ones I had from Privett)... I will be expanding to try some other "LF" bantams this year though, Dominques, RIR bantams, Cornish, Sultan, Sumatra, Phoenix and Cubalaya. Also interested in trying Buff Orp and Wyandotte bantams. People always talk about how nice the LF of those breeds are but I've never been impressed with personalities... maybe it's different from hatchery to hatchery and breeder to breeder. But I wonder if I'd like the bantam versions better.

My daughter's fitting and showing chicken was a bantam cochin. I stopped having bantams -- the neighbors can feed their own cats!

I think the first step is to figure out why bantams and what you plan to do with them. I mean, are they going to be for show or your pets or genetic fun or hatching for sale or diet eggs or just cute little chirpy garden fluffballs or ???? Breeding or show stock would need to be separated to keep breed purity. Each of my puffballs is a different color, so my yard is a rainbow of chirps--no rooster, no hatching, no chicks. Free-ranging bantams can also be an adrenaline rush because everything sees them as bite-size morsels, but it could be a great weight-loss program running outside, down the stairs, across the yard with a broom every 15 minutes!

I don't allow my bantams to free range. My dogs and cats don't bother my chickens (bantam or not) but hawks, owls, foxes; and coyotes are a big threat.

I guess they would qualify as pets or chirpy garden fluffballs :lol: I don't show my chickens, nor do I want to breed them. Just for fun!

Haha, I'll let my bantams free range if I ever need to lose weight! :lau

Mine are on half acre fenced during the day and they do fine. I have Choclate Orps that are bantam and they are sweet too but of all my bantams my Bantam Cochins are my snuggles and oh my gosh when they make that sweet noise when being snuggled :love I have a real sweet LF Brahma hen too I wonder if Brahmas in Bantam are as easy going and sweet?

I am totally in love with my OEGBs they may not be cuddly but I love their independence. They are just the best mamas too my Oldest hen who only was able to hatch one chick this past year because of a blk snake that was dining on her eggs ( we finally caught him) anyway this chick, pullet hatched in Aug 2018 and her and mama are still close as ever.

Aww, your Cochins sound so sweet! :love I'll bet Chocolate Orpington bantams are so adorable! I have one Light Brahma, and I have to say she isn't the sweetest thing. Maybe that's just how she is? :confused:

I know, they're one of my favorites! I'll post some pictures of my OEGB's in just a sec.
Surprisingly my OEGB hen has never been broody. She is 10 months old, but my Ayam Cemani pullets went broody when they were only 7 months!

Aww, do you have any pics?

Back
Top Bottom