Ideas on a self-sustainable flock?

Pics
Some people suggest you read all the posts in a thread before you reply but I read so many threads I can't always remember everything that has been said in a specific one, especially if it covers a few days. Sometimes I get confused as to which thread I'm in regarding that kind of detail. That's why putting your general location in the profile can be so helpful in so many ways. It helps keep old fogeys like me less confused. :old

There are no ugly chickens......Some are just way better looking than the others.......and some have faces only their mother could love.....of course I have seen few unattractive, unappealing, unpleasant, hideous, unlovely, unprepossessing, unsightly, horrible, frightful, awful, ghastly, vile, revolting, repellent, repulsive, repugnant, rotesque, disgusting, monstrous, reptilian, misshapen, deformed ones. BUT no ugly ones!

Yes, Ontario- profile has been updated! :) So right now it says -15C or 5F if you're south of the border. Cold for both me and the chickens!! This will be my first real winter in 20 years! (lived in Los Angeles and Vancouver since last century!)

I have a question for Lazy Gardener- why no feathers on their feet? I understand small combs are better in the cold, but is there a reason you are trying to breed feet with no feathers? just because you don't like them?

Last edited:
Yes, Ontario- profile has been updated! :) So right now it says -15C or 5F if you're south of the border. Cold for both me and the chickens!! This will be my first real winter in 20 years! (lived in Los Angeles and Vancouver since last century!)

I have a question for Lazy Gardener- why no feathers on their feet? I understand small combs are better in the cold, but is there a reason you are trying to breed feet with no feathers? just because you don't like them?
Feathers on the legs get wet and messy. Birds with feathered legs will track more moisture and junk into the coop.

1. I really DON'T like them.

2. I've heard from enough folks complaining about them dragging mud and debris into the nests. Makes increased skid marks on the eggs.

3. They can be prone to broken feather shafts, and sometimes cause bleeding.

4. Feathered feet is a dominant trait. If I allowed a single feathered foot in my flock, it would breed forward for at least one generation, and I'd have to be selective about who's eggs I set.

5. I live in snow country. I envision those feathered feet with snow and ice balls stuck on them.

6. I really, really, DON'T like feathered feet!

1. I really DON'T like them.

2. I've heard from enough folks complaining about them dragging mud and debris into the nests. Makes increased skid marks on the eggs.

3. They can be prone to broken feather shafts, and sometimes cause bleeding.

4. Feathered feet is a dominant trait. If I allowed a single feathered foot in my flock, it would breed forward for at least one generation, and I'd have to be selective about who's eggs I set.

5. I live in snow country. I envision those feathered feet with snow and ice balls stuck on them.

6. I really, really, DON'T like feathered feet!
Hear, hear.

I have found that the feathered feet don't get ice or snow stuck on them, but the rest are all completely accurate and quite annoying. They are quite cute, but only when the weather is nice and they are free ranging and they haven't broken yet another pinfeather.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought I'd post a few pics.
Breeder told me the following: Buff Orpington, Blue Orpington, Partridge Rock, 3 Auracauna (green eggs) and a Maran.

Havent seen any eggs that are dark brown. I have buff, and teal coloured eggs so far.

Do these look like Auracauna or EE? I was told they are Easter Eggers if they have tails? Correct or no? Mine have tails.

And can that be a Blue Orpington if her wattle is small?
She has feathered feet, too. Is that a trait of Blue Orpingtons?

my_flock_of_7.JPG stormy_aka_FeatherFeet.jpg phoenix_big_red.jpg phoenix_little_Hawk_Zucchini.JPG Little_Dove_aka_Glitter_sparkle_egg.jpg big_red_Zucchini.jpg Feather_Face.jpg Stormy_Little HAwk.jpg

And is the black and brown one with the big comb a Maran? What kind?
How about the white one? Any ideas?
This was my first attempt at pics. I hope they arent huge.

Back
Top Bottom