Ideas on a self-sustainable flock?

QUOTE="lazy gardener,

Araucana are rumpless, therefore have no tails. They lay blue eggs. They are rare and expensive b/c they carry a lethal gene.

What lethal Gene are you referring to?

The rumpless gene is a lethal gene, resulting in frequent death of chicks before hatch, and sometimes poor viability after hatch.

I think they're just making the point that it's yet another genetic defect or trait that people breed for that hurts animals and/or is asking if they're similar. Or like for instance, double merles and lethal white in dogs, or the extreme curly tail in pugs (or the short noses in all those breeds). My uncle loves ridgebacks, has always had them, never had an issue (that I know of) with his so maybe it is being bred out but I personally don't get the point of breeding FOR a defect. Or like fainting goats or dwarfism/mini animals. It's a genetic disorder. Or back to poultry, the crested ducks sometimes have brain issues, right? I am sure all these are all great breeds I would hate to see disappear but at the same time, it seems a lot of animals suffer. It relates because it's the same kind of thing - breeding for looks or even a specific disorder.

Also random question but is the lethal rumpless gene the same one that causes problems occasionally in naturally bob tailed dogs?

And sorry, I slightly went off topic there too.

But basically I think they were simply trying to compare the two and they relate because it is a health problem caused by breeding for a specific trait.

Which I'm not sure is humane.

But again in the ridgeback case, they are great dogs so not saying they should disappear or judging anyone in case someone thinks so

Last edited:
And back to poultry again, are there any other lethal genes or even just other health problem causing ones in chickens? I want to try some new breeds or a rooster and thought maybe there might be more problems or colors to avoid breeding to

... Or back to poultry, the crested ducks sometimes have brain issues, right? I am sure all these are all great breeds I would hate to see disappear but at the same time, it seems a lot of animals suffer. It relates because it's the same kind of thing - breeding for looks or even a specific disorder

The genes that cause similar defects are all on different alleles across different species, breeds and even color varieties. What causes hip dysphasia in German Shepherds is not what causes it in Poodles.

As far as crested breeds, some of them get a double top knot (vaulted skull is the more common phrase) which has an extraordinary crest as a result, but makes for a really thin skull layer which makes the brain vulnerable to pecks the same way that vaulted skull chihuahuas are (the AKC kind know as Apple heads).

The genes that cause similar defects are all on different alleles across different species, breeds and even color varieties. What causes hip dysphasia in German Shepherds is not what causes it in Poodles.

As far as crested breeds, some of them get a double top knot (vaulted skull is the more common phrase) which has an extraordinary crest as a result, but makes for a really thin skull layer which makes the brain vulnerable to pecks the same way that vaulted skull chihuahuas are (the AKC kind know as Apple heads).

Wow I had no idea it was so different among different animals but it makes sense. But the even among the same species thing surprised me.

That's sad :( so if you keep them separate so they aren't pecked are they okay?

And you know, I actually just saw an apple head Chihuahua puppy on Craigslist yesterday and was wondering what it was. I remembered hearing it was bad, along with teacup, but couldn't remember why

Back
Top Bottom