Ideas on how to make this thing a functioning coop

About how big is it? Some of those boards on the back gable end look incredibly wide, might have been home milled, definitely local wood to the original builder. And while I was looking at that I notice the circular saw mill marks on those same boards. Super cool! Sorry, can't help but nerd out when I see an old building. I'm a bit of an old barn enthusiast.
You'd love my house then! Built in 1820s has hand hewn beams all over the place.

I think it's about 8x4 ish. Definitely see the circular saw marks now.

You'd love my house then! Built in 1820s has hand hewn beams all over the place.

I think it's about 8x4 ish. Definitely see the circular saw marks now.

I probably would! My house and barn are around the same age. I would check the nails in it. If they are square head or if the heads are round but irregular shapes, then you might have a really old building, but I have a feeling it's newer than that, definitely very cool either way. I hope you can find someway to get it in shape and get some eggs out of it!

I thought the roofing boards on the inside ceiling looked pretty good from the one picture of them. The eaves do look like they might need some repair. If you wanted a metal roof for some reason, you might have to strip the shingles, but if it were me, I would just cover over them and replace the facia boards. You'd definitely be safer removing the shingles completely, but it is a chicken coop...

If I put them under the poop shelf then getting the eggs is going to be super difficult. I'm thinking the other side under the windows.
It doesn't need to be... but it depends of course on if it hurts for you to bend... not everyone can bend...

For a non bending option, you could have an access hatch on the outside of the coop to gather eggs that are in nest boxes under the poop shelf.

I just am a huge proponent of stacking coop stuff to make more space, also why I love the poop shelves... it makes an extra level in the coop.

But maybe there are other clever ways to stack,and gather eggs without bending...

maybe a nest box that swings out...

or one of those community nest boxes where the eggs all roll to the front...

Do I need to have another source of ventilation opposite or on another wall? Right now it's just the side with the big windows.

Depends on the season and the climate. For summer, maybe install a "screen door" (really, hardware cloth); then you can leave the entire main door open. Depending on how hot it gets, you might want a good stiff breeze blowing through there all summer!

For winter, that much window space might be enough ventilation (assuming the windows are covered with hardware cloth and not glass or plastic.) It will depend on how the air moves inside the coop, and I'm not good at predicting that.

I'm sure you recognize that you always want moisture, ammonia, and other smells to go out, and in summer you want to be sure the heat to goes out too. But in winter you do not want a draft where the chickens sleep, while a "draft" is quite welcome in hot weather :)

I like dirt floor coops, and as long as you have a dig proof edge, they are predator proof.

But.... eh.... personal preference.

I think it looks like a great coop "bones"/ starting point.

I love the large screened area, most coops don't have enough ventilation, but that one looks great.

My husband would he happy to hear that! He went and got a plywood floor because it really needs to be shored up on the bottom and then we don't have to work about animals getting up underneath. The windows are great but I'm going to end up covering the upper half and adding hardware cloth because they're really big. I also do r have windows on the other side so not sure about air flow? What's there now is some plastic with wire inside. I do like that it has a door I can walk into and that I can customize it (looking on the bright side 😆).

I wouldn't, you need ventilation, even in winter.

With all of the ventilation on only the one side, there "shouldn't" be a breeze at perch level.

If you get a horrid cold snap (so, -20 C or F for a week or more), or come winter you find a strong draft at perch level, you could tack up a little cardboard.
Ah ok. My current coops have little doors that slide over the hardware cloth so I thought I should do something like that.

Beautiful little building. Just needs some TLC. It's interesting to look at the construction and think about the hands that built it, and why, and how many uses it may have been through. Love the saltbox roof! Have fun with it!

Back
Top Bottom