Ideas on what to transport them in?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SAHMof2, Sep 28, 2011.

1. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I've been terribly irresponsible and left this for the 11th hour. It occured to me tonight that I have no idea who to get my Tom, 2 roos and a hen to a friends to become dinner.

Dh has a little dodge with a roll top tonneau cover. Is it cruel to put them in there, close the tonneau and drive 45 mins? It will not be a warm morning so I'm not worried about that. More so broken legs and bruises. I also have a dog kennel that would fit two roos or maybe the hen too very cramped. The roos are mean though so I think she's get picked on so cramped?

Also am I correct in taking the food away tonight and only letting them have water before we go?

Thanks.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    taking food away the night before a transport does help keep things less messy and if they are being butchered in the morning it is also a good idea for the butcherer to make their job a little easier. Dog kennel, box with air holes cut into it. Not sure about have them flop about in the back under a truck cover. I guess thats you call.

3. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I like to use cardboard boxes. Better fit, so less flopping around. Dark, so they calm down. Disposable, no mess to clean up. Free!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by