Too Many Roos - How to Best Cover Them for Cold Temps?

CatsMenagerie

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
Georgia
I had some hens go broody last summer and sat on the eggs for a while. Then they abandonded them so I put the eggs in a brooder. Of the nine that survived, I got five roosters hatched this past August. I have a coop/run large enough for them all, but the roosters aren't getting along any more and are causing problems for the hens.

The only solution I have is to separate them until I can rehome them. I plan on putting them in large dog crates against the side of the covered run so they will get somewhat of a wind break and attach a tarp from the side of the run over the tops of the kennels to deflect rain.

Living in somewhat central Georgia, we usually have rather mild winters with temps rarely going near freezing. It is supposed to go close to freezing tonight and several nights this week. If I put the tarp around at least one side and the tops of the kennels, will the roos be okay?

Thank you in advance!

They should be okay, though if you could move them inside that would be best. You will for sure get frostebite thoguh on their combs. put vaseline on daily, or else the frostbitten areas will fall off.
I wish I could move them inside but my coop isn't large enough for the kennels and loose chickens (20-21) at the same time depending on if I cage the youngest one too. :( I can't wait too many more days because the bossiest rooster is now picking on the hens too.

I can't wait too many more days because the bossiest rooster is now picking on the hens too.
The only solution I have is to separate them until I can rehome them.

Butchering is often faster than rehoming, and they wouldn't need to be separated in the freezer or the stewpot.

Since you say separating and rehoming is the "only" solution, I assume you already ruled this out?

You will for sure get frostebite thoguh on their combs. put vaseline on daily, or else the frostbitten areas will fall off.

not prevent but it will create a boundary for infection and help it heal quickly.
Frostbitten tissue is dead tissue, it will fall off regardless. Vaseline will do nothing to keep dead tissue from falling off.

Nah. IF I was worried about infection, then Vaseline is not what I'd use. In fact...for a Frostbitten comb, I'd do nothing. It will dry up, fall off on its own and it will heal just fine. Handling the tissue will cause it to open up before it's finished the self-dubbing process, then you may indeed introduce infection.

Butchering is often faster than rehoming, and they wouldn't need to be separated in the freezer or the stewpot.

Since you say separating and rehoming is the "only" solution, I assume you already ruled this out?
The original rooster wasn't mentally right and was agressive with me and went after the most kind, gentle, elderly cat ever, and I put him in the freezer. The current ones are very nice to people and cats, so I can't bring myself to do it personally, and I don't know anyone who would do it for me. I'm hoping that in this small community someone will take them. I just don't want them to tell me where they end up because it will probably be a stew pot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom