Ideas please

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
Want to preface this post by saying that I only let my girls out in the grass run when I‘m sitting with them, as there is still a spot I need to attach hardware cloth to, and my little rigged tunnel won’t stop a dog. Most of it has two feet of the coated green HW cloth - can’t see it that well in the pic.

I recently bought an Omlet run to supplement my sand run (which was once grass). It’s bigger than I imagined (measuring and I are not friends - don’t ask how many times I’ve had to send pictures or even furniture back). 🙄

Anyway, my plan was to move it around the yard to keep them on nice grass. The tunnel that will attach it to the sand run will be PVC and HW cloth so it bends around as I need it to. The run is so big that I can’t pull it around myself. I tried putting a bunch of those slick furniture movers under the posts, and it worked better, but still not ideal.

It is not digging predator proof, but they only have access while I’m home - my office overlooks it - and I have a HW cloth door that’s closed and blocks their access (or predator access to the sand coop) when I’m gone. At night they’re in a locked barn coop. So, net-net, I wasn’t planning on putting cloth around the outside or making it any harder to move than it is.

Any thoughts from engineers or creative-minded people? What else would make it easier to slide around the yard? The grass pic is from a week’s worth of ’grazing’. I have eight girls and they love their grass!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 11
Truthfully, I don't see a need to constantly move the run -- most people install permanent ones. While the floor of the run should be well drained for health reasons, grass is not a "necessity." In fact, if you keep moving the run they will probably just tear up your lawn until is all gone.

If you are concerned about their enjoyment of the space, you can put some items in for them to jump or roost on and toss in an occasional treat.

Truthfully, I don't see a need to constantly move the run -- most people install permanent ones. While the floor of the run should be well drained for health reasons, grass is not a "necessity." In fact, if you keep moving the run they will probably just tear up your lawn until is all gone.

If you are concerned about their enjoyment of the space, you can put some items in for them to jump or roost on and toss in an occasional treat.
True, except we have two acres so there is plenty of grass; I’m just afraid to let them free range. And I’d be building one heck of a tunnel to get them all over the acreage! Their sand run has pallets, a chair, a log and some boards to roost on, but they just seem to looooove going on the grass and digging around grazing. I’m probably just being an OCD animal owner. 🥴

Back
Top Bottom