Ideas wanted...

Evie in MA

Chirping
Apr 20, 2017
Sorry to be so vague with the thread title, but I couldn't think of a succinct way to describe this issue. I have this Swedish Flower Hen who insists on sitting in this doorway all the time. When the door closes in the evening (it's on a timer), more often than not, she ends up outside. She is in a safe run when that happens but I would prefer her to end up inside, especially in the winter. I have taken to opening and closing it manually to keep this from happening, but if anyone has any clever ideas, I'd love to hear them.
IMG_0230.jpg

Maybe she has trouble seeing where she is?
Have you tried cutting around her eyes?

Maybe she has trouble seeing where she is?
Have you tried cutting around her eyes?

Oh, she definitely has trouble seeing where she is. She does not even seem able to fly up onto the roosts in the coop. I have thought about trimming around her eyes but have been quite nervous to do so. Anyone have advice on the best way to do that?

Very carefully. :D Really I think it depends on how tame and easy to handle she is. Anything that will cut feathers will work. If she’s skittish and jumpy I wouldn’t want scissors by her eye. Maybe angled nail clippers, angled away. I guess it also depends on how close to her face you’re trying to get.

She’s a beauty by the way. I’d love to add crested Swedish Flowers to my other Flowers.

Oh, she definitely has trouble seeing where she is. She does not even seem able to fly up onto the roosts in the coop. I have thought about trimming around her eyes but have been quite nervous to do so. Anyone have advice on the best way to do that?
I had a SFH that had a huge crest. She was extremely timid and spent most of her time hiding from the other chickens. When I trimmed her crest feathers so that she could see well, she turned into a normal chicken. I just used small scissors to cut the feathers back.
Before trimming (Sorry no after trimming pics)
full

One thing that’s may be helpful is that since chickens can’t see well in the dark, maybe have someone hold a flashlight while you trim the feathers at night. I know that sounds more dangerous (scissors around eyes at night?!?) but for me that’s the easiest time to trim nails, treat superficial wounds, do exams, etc. Most of my chickens- rooster included- don’t put up a fight in the dark. Just a thought if your hen struggles too much otherwise.

Idk if it is a sight issue. ALL of my chickens would rather sit in the doorway than go in the coop...I have 50+ birds too...lol.

Sorry, I have no idea what you can do other than manually putting her inside but you are not alone with uncooperative birds. My ducks hate going in at night! They would sleep in the middle of my front yard if I would let them.

Back
Top Bottom