1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Identify my egg layer!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spinksy, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Spinksy

Spinksy Just Hatched

Jul 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hello! My Buff Orpington recently started laying, sometimes every other day. The egg on the left was from her yesterday, and I've just picked up the one on the right from the nesting box. A slight difference in size and color (so far her eggs have been on the small size). Could the egg on the right be from another chicken? I have an ameracuana, an australorpe, silver laced Wyandotte, and black star. So far only my buff and leghorn are laying, any input would be appreciated! Thanks [​IMG]

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    I have a silver laced wyandotte that lays eggs like the one on the right But It could also be Australorp or Blackstar
    amerucana Lay blue eggs

3. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Its likely from.... Idk [​IMG]

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    You can check there vents a swollen dry vent means they are laying and a pink watery vent means there not.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Likely the Australorp or Wyandotte. You can check by flipping them upside down and measuring between their pelvic bones. One finger width means they are not laying, 2 finger width they are likely laying.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Takes some practice checking and comparing to known layers, and not carved in stone, but a pretty easy way to tell is.....

Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

7. Spinksy

Spinksy Just Hatched

Jul 21, 2016
    Thank so much guys, these are my first ever chickens, so it's all very new (and exciting!) for me! I really appreciate the input! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by