Identify this little orphan please.

GenuineJo

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
On Christmas Eve my husband was out for his morning walk and this little one was nearly frozen just curled up by herself (optimistic pronoun) with no others around. I was wondering if anyone could identify the breed (and even the gender). What other kind of pic would help identify her?
She's itty bitty and already has some feathers, the tail was nothing at first and now is about a quarter inch (4 days later)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 7
On Christmas Eve my husband was out for his morning walk and this little one was nearly frozen just curled up by herself (optimistic pronoun) with no others around. I was wondering if anyone could identify the breed (and even the gender). What other kind of pic would help identify her?
She's itty bitty and already has some feathers, the tail was nothing at first and now is about a quarter inch (4 days later)

Thanks for any suggestions.
It might be a mix, and the gender is very, very hard to tell at this stage. @Overo Mare she probably knows more about this.

Looks like an americauna chick! I have one similar with the same marble pattern and white tip feathers. I named her Cow. :) Does this little one have extra toes?

No extra toes that I see. Thanks for the information. She seems to have very distinct dark wings above light wing feathers and cleans herself between them because it seems she can separate the 2 layers.

I'll estimate her age at 3 to 4 weeks, and my choice of pronoun is based on the tuft of feathers on her rump... it's NOT a guarantee at this age, but in my experience, my little girls have stumpy tail feathers before their brothers.
Thank you! I hope so. I'll post more pics in a few weeks. She seems to be thriving now and will climb up to my shoulder to get under my hair.

Back
Top Bottom