Identifying Gender by a Key on a String

Ren2014

Blessed Beyond Hope
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Texas
Has anyone heard of this... the lady at the feed store held a key tied to a string above the chick's head. She said if it's a female, the key will start circling. She also showed me this on her wrist. Another thing she did, which I think was cruel, she held the chick by it's head and said if it's a rooster it will fight. Please let me know if anyone knows of these tricks? My next question will be.... can you hold it over an egg to tell the difference so as to set only female eggs, lol. Just wondering, seriously.

I had an old timer show me this for both chicks and eggs. It didn't prove it to me.
However, I know a lot of pullet chicks that will fight you if you hold them by the head so I don't believe that one.

Last edited:
I had an old timer show me this for both chicks and eggs.
However, I know a lot of pullet chicks that will fight you if you hold them by the head so I don't believe that one.

Good to hear. I'm going to try this on some eggs I have in the bator when I candle them. I don't plan on using the hold them by the head test after they hatch. Gees... that should be a test of intellect not gender, lol

Of course they work!

Fifty percent of the time, guaranteed
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom