Identifying goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by OutInTheStiks, Mar 3, 2010.

1. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    My first ever goslings arrived today. I ordered Hatchery Choice from Ideal. Now I am attempting to make guesses as to what I have. Do any breeds have identifing characteristics as goslings that I can use to identify or rule out what these may be? At the moment I know:

I have 5 yellow and 2 with brown on them.

Ideal has American Buff, Brown African, Brown Chinese, Embden, Gray Saddleback Pomeranians, Pilgrims, Toulouse, Tufted Roman and White Chinese.

At the time I ordered mine, Ideal also had a special on Brown Africans and both varieties of Chinese. I suspect that those are the most likely suspects.

So, is there anything in particular I can look for?

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I am not sure, but moving this up so someone with experience can help you out! Do you have pics you can post?

3. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    This is the best I have at the moment of one of the brown ones. I will attempt a photo session this evening.

[​IMG]

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Look at the bill and feet they usually change the least and the bill on China/african are a bit different than other geese. I would guess brown African for the one in the picture because he looks short necked and big headded to be a china. But thats all it is, a guess.

5. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    A few other pics for possible identification. The 2nd and 3rd pics are the same gosling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. newduckie

newduckie Songster

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
  7. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    I might say that the first pic is a brown african???

8. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    The goslings are 10 days old now. One of the brown ones is now roughly twice the size of the other leading me to believe that we have a brown african and a brown chinese.

Two of the white ones appear slightly different than the other three. In the pic below, note the difference in the forehead shape of the gosling on the right front and the one standing in the back. Two have the more vertical forehead like the one in the back and three have the more sloping forehead like the one in the front.

[​IMG]

9. Friend2Fowl

Friend2Fowl Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    I'm no expert, but I would think the goslings (yellow) with the rounded heads are embdens. And I would also agree that you have 2 different types of 'brown' goslings. From the latest picture, they seem to have different shaped bills as well? Or is it just the angle of the picture?

10. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Quote:I had been concentrating on the size difference between the two and hadn't noticed the difference in the bill shape. The smaller seems to have the sloping forehead of the three yellows. I'm guessing that they are white chinese and the brown one is brown chinese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: