Pilgrim Gees Question....?

IvysAnimals

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello :) I think I'm going to get another goose and I was curious on why when I look up Pilgrim Geese, they come in all different colors? They look like if a Tolouse and a cotton patch goose had a baby gosling, it would come out looking like an Embden ( or Emden ) gosling..? For example, if I looked up what a Pomeranian, Embden, Toulouse, Saddle Back, Buff T, African, Steinbacher, Chinese, Roman/tufted, Sebastopol, anything, they have their own distinct look to them... Pilgrim geese look like a bunch of different types... Does anyone know why?

EDIT: I just realized that I spelled Geese wrong in the title...oops

Last edited:
I raise Pilgrims. They don't - or shouldn't - really come in different colors, though males and females have distinctly different coloring from each other. Though there may be minor variations (e.g., a gander with slightly more gray feathers or a goose with an almost-completely white head), there is an ideal type for each sex, and what you may be seeing on the internet or other places are mixes or geese that simply aren't Pilgrims. A goose that looks like a Pilgrim but doesn't autosex properly or whose progeny doesn't autosex properly isn't a Pilgrim.

The Livestock Conservancy has a detailed description of the breed. If you find geese that deviate from the description, I'd pass on them.

I raise Pilgrims. They don't - or shouldn't - really come in different colors, though males and females have distinctly different coloring from each other. Though there may be minor variations (e.g., a gander with slightly more gray feathers or a goose with an almost-completely white head), there is an ideal type for each sex, and what you may be seeing on the internet or other places are mixes or geese that simply aren't Pilgrims. A goose that looks like a Pilgrim but doesn't autosex properly or whose progeny doesn't autosex properly isn't a Pilgrim.

The Livestock Conservancy has a detailed description of the breed. If you find geese that deviate from the description, I'd pass on them.
Thank you!!!

my pair of Pilgrims. Male is white (with a little gray) and female is gray with some white . Charlie and Trudy 😍

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom