identifying predator

harv681

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
How do you identify an attacker? This afternoon, something attacked my Black Australops hen Rosie. I discovered her walking around our suburban back yard, fine except for an absence of all her tail feathers! The feathers were in the middle of the yard splayed out in a three foot circle. My husband thinks it was a hawk. I checked Rosie all over and can find no other injury. Is this consistant with a hawk? It had to be a juvenile...I'm thankful she was able to get away from whatever it was!!

Sounds more Canine to me.

Hawks generally pluck the breast and start eating the meat there.

Canines chase and grab from the rear, or pounce and kill without leaving any marks.
Stray dogs often kill for FUN.
A Fox would likely have carried her off

Could it have been a stray cat? Our yard is fenced and secure, and I've not seen any stray dogs.

Hawk or canine could have done it. Canine unless totally inept would have contacted hen multiple times in chase leaving piles of feathers in line as both parties ran. Skilled canine will attack torso or neck. Hawk could have been effectively dodged with it catching only tail feathers and being too confused to continue chase. Red-tails prone to giving up while Coopers would likely be more persistant and try to re-engage if getting only feathers in first effort. Something could have interferred with predator causing it to abort which happens a lot.

There are many red tail hawks in our area. I've seen as many as ten circling the neighborhood. My girls have never been troubled by them, but a recent hurricane did take out several of our trees that have probably blocked them from view. I hadn't thought of that.

My boxer mix likes to grab our chickens by the tails, or rear legs. Hawk would make sense too, though, if it just grabbed feathers instead of actual skin and the bird got away.

Back
Top Bottom