Identifying the Breed of Chickens

I should’ve mentioned in the beginning. My bad!
I had blues, browns, pinks, whites and speckled dark browns. I also had couple olive ones but I can’t remember if any of them hatched.

Ah, then there must have been some Easter Eggers among the mothers. That explains the puffy cheeks! (And maybe some of the pea combs as well.) The breed list did not have any breeds with muff/beard, and only one breed with pea comb (Dark Cornish), but this makes more sense :)

Almost any of the chicks could have an Easter Egger mother, because Easter Eggers can come in any colors. And for the egg colors you mention, it's likely that some of the mothers are not purebreds, either. So that makes this guessing even less sure...

Guess on a few more of them:

#1 and #12 (blues)--at least one parent of each is a Blue Australorp.
#12, previously identified as having a pea comb, could have Blue Australorp father and Dark Cornish or Easter Egger for mother

#4, #5, #7, #8, #9, #10
Probably all have Buff Orpington father (unless there's another rooster, that isn't on that list.)
Mothers probably from Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Rainbow Ranger, Welsummer, maybe Dark Cornish, maybe Copper Marans, definitely Easter Egger

#5 (puffy cheeks)--Easter Egger mother

#7 may be a pure Buff Orpington?
#8 maybe a Rhode Island Red mother?
#9 maybe Rainbow Ranger mother?
#10 maybe Welsummer mother? Or Rainbow Ranger?
(or Easter Egger for any of them)

#6 has only a few feathers on the legs, so it might have "clean legged" parents. Sometimes chickens grow a few feathers anyway, without having a feather-legged parent. Otherwise, I expect there's a maran parent, because that's the only breed on the list that is sometimes supposed to have any feathers on the legs. Or, of course, there could be more breeds that were involved but were not listed :)

Considering the pea comb of #6, I think it probably has either a Dark Cornish or an Easter Egger mother. Given the color pattern, I think probably Easter Egger (because I would not expect that from a Dark Cornish.) Maybe the Buff Orpington father, because I would expect a Blue Australorp to produce mostly Blue chicks and Black chicks, with any hen.

#2 I still think has a Barred Rock mother, although there's a chance it's the Dominque--chicks from a Dominique should have a rose comb, which that chick does not, although some rose comb chickens do produce some single comb offspring.

Of course, these are all guesses ;)

Ah, then there must have been some Easter Eggers among the mothers. That explains the puffy cheeks! (And maybe some of the pea combs as well.) The breed list did not have any breeds with muff/beard, and only one breed with pea comb (Dark Cornish), but this makes more sense :)

Almost any of the chicks could have an Easter Egger mother, because Easter Eggers can come in any colors. And for the egg colors you mention, it's likely that some of the mothers are not purebreds, either. So that makes this guessing even less sure...

Guess on a few more of them:

#1 and #12 (blues)--at least one parent of each is a Blue Australorp.
#12, previously identified as having a pea comb, could have Blue Australorp father and Dark Cornish or Easter Egger for mother

#4, #5, #7, #8, #9, #10
Probably all have Buff Orpington father (unless there's another rooster, that isn't on that list.)
Mothers probably from Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Rainbow Ranger, Welsummer, maybe Dark Cornish, maybe Copper Marans, definitely Easter Egger

#5 (puffy cheeks)--Easter Egger mother

#7 may be a pure Buff Orpington?
#8 maybe a Rhode Island Red mother?
#9 maybe Rainbow Ranger mother?
#10 maybe Welsummer mother? Or Rainbow Ranger?
(or Easter Egger for any of them)

#6 has only a few feathers on the legs, so it might have "clean legged" parents. Sometimes chickens grow a few feathers anyway, without having a feather-legged parent. Otherwise, I expect there's a maran parent, because that's the only breed on the list that is sometimes supposed to have any feathers on the legs. Or, of course, there could be more breeds that were involved but were not listed :)

Considering the pea comb of #6, I think it probably has either a Dark Cornish or an Easter Egger mother. Given the color pattern, I think probably Easter Egger (because I would not expect that from a Dark Cornish.) Maybe the Buff Orpington father, because I would expect a Blue Australorp to produce mostly Blue chicks and Black chicks, with any hen.

#2 I still think has a Barred Rock mother, although there's a chance it's the Dominque--chicks from a Dominique should have a rose comb, which that chick does not, although some rose comb chickens do produce some single comb offspring.

Of course, these are all guesses ;)
Nice! Thank you!

1- blue australorp x
2- blue australorp x barred rock
3- blue australorp x
4- buff Orpington x Easter egger
5- buff Orpington x Easter egger
6- buff orpington x olive egger(?)
7- buff Orpington x buff Orpington
8- buff Orpington x
9- buff Orpington x
10- buff Orpington x welsummer or leghorn(?) (depending on color variety) or dorking (depending on color variety)
11- buff Orpington x silver laced wyandotte(???)
12-blue australorp x

Back
Top Bottom