Identity Crisis! Golden Comets or Buff Orpingtons????

Buffs or Golden Comets?

• Buff Orpingtons!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Golden Comets!

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Could be either...

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Neither (Comment with suggestion!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm leaning towards golden comets (though I'm in the habit of calling them red sexlinks). Whatever you got, though, you're gonna have some great birds! They look like they've got good, calm personalities around people.

Everything I would have said has already been said, but I am leaning toward Golden Comets!
big_smile.png

I was going to post about Hinkjcfarms.com and saw her pictures are gone, but contacted her.

She says she can be contacted on Facebook. She has very nice orpingtons. She will ship eggs I believe but you have to pick up chicks which I did one year. A long day drive but her Orpingtons are very worth the drive. I may make another this year.

Sex links regardless of not being GC's or not. Still going to be great birds! My new diagnoses of being color blind explains why I keep running the yellow light though which is good to know.

I'll also say,

Here in NY the TSC lady told me they get whatever the hatchery chooses to send. Hence we only get Pekin/Khaki Campbells and Mallards. Chicks are unsexed most of the time. Bantams are unsexed assortment. I do believe most of the Barred Rock chicks were roos.

However GC's or BO's are both nice. I have a friend who is biased to GC's. He loves them.

My apology will be to go learn how to disagree with people beyond yelling louder than everyone else (because on computer it just makes one sound like a butt head)

They do look more buff colored than red colored. That being said, I think you've got some sex links there. I believe different hatcheries use different crosses to achieve their sex links which could explain why some are more red colored than others. I picked up 1 chick a few years ago from a local feed store to replace one that had died in my chick order that came by mail. She turned out to be a buff colored sex link like yours. Great chicken. Friendly and lays lots of eggs. I think she came from Ideal or Cackle hatchery, can't remember which one. If you're really curious you could find out which hatchery supplied your TS, then go to their website and look through the possibilities.
jumpy.gif

Here is a picture of my Gold Star at 4 weeks and my BO at 3 weeks, in case that helps. I have two BO and one Gold Star. These are my first chickens and I am really enjoying them. I love the different personalities. Star is one the friendliest and cutest of my chickens, I really love her. From what I have read she will probably start laying before any of the others and will lay more but probably won't live as long as some others. GOLD STAR 4 weeks
Buff Orpington - 3 weeks.

Ok so the more these babies grow the more convinced I am that two of them are actually guys. They almost have all of their feathers on their bodies and they are all solid gold. Not even the slightest bit of red to them. Take a look and let me know what you think!

This is the largest "male." He was the first to get all his feathers and they both have really long gorgeous tails. (The old farmers in our area say long tails are males... are they right???) As you can see, all gold.

This is one of the girls. All gold, still missing her head feathers, nice short fluffy tail.

Here's a pic of one of the "males" next to one of the girls. See the difference in the tails? And I really don't see any red....

Back
Top Bottom