Idiot needs help with BROODY hen---UPADATE Page 3

"Will the golf balls hatch?"... OMG I LOVE a person with a sense of humor!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
th.gif
(me falling over from lack of oxygen due to laughing!)

the downside to her being broody is that she won't produce, and some won't get off the nest to eat/drink. Just keep an eye on her
smile.png
I've seen people say you can put them in a pen with a wire bottom and give them a few days (with food and water of course) to try and break their broodiness, but to me it's their natural behaviour, and if you can deal with one less egg, maybe just let it run it's course
idunno.gif

Well, I decided to have my wife yell at me as soon as she figures out what I'm doing. I pulled the golf balls and she is noe sitting on two eggs.
Is it ok to put tomorrows eggs under her?

I did this because I think its just plain easier than the alternative and since she is now bare brested
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Removing her repeatedly may work.
Blocking access to the coop during the day may work.
If it gets extreme, they say to put them in a wire cage with food and water for 4 or 5 days. The cage must be off the ground so she feels air on her butt.

Quote:
She may steal their eggs, especially if they lay one near her and she can roll it over. But she may also hop from her pile to a newer pile. That's why it's imperative to mark them. It's ideal to have her sit on eggs all at once so they hatch about the same time. I don't know if a day will make a difference. I collected eggs for two days, leaving them in a bucket, then put them under my hen all at one time.

I also take her some hard-boiled egg chunks, especially the yolk, for a nutritious treat, since she's not out with the others foraging.
It's so hot here I can remove her and take her to get some water. When I do that, she drinks like she hasn't had water all day. But it may be a lot colder where you are, so maybe you could put a water source nearby just for her. What are the temps where you are?

Good luck!

Quote:
Very good chance. Mark the eggs you've chosen as they will move eggs around the coop if she is not separated. Better chance if you have a way to cage her off from the others while she is setting.

Back
Top Bottom