If a animal walks outside of someone’s property is it mine?

QuacknCheep

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
I know of a horrible slaughter house near me—it’s local and small, but the fences are only so so, so if an animal were to slip under without me touching them—could I then take that animal—they have a field of lambs—and I just feel sooo bad—they also have baby goats- and neither are for dairy-I looked at what they sell, and it’s all meat— I live in NY-

I know of a horrible slaughter house near me—it’s local and small, but the fences are only so so, so if an animal were to slip under without me touching them—could I then take that animal—they have a field of lambs—and I just feel sooo bad—they also have baby goats- and neither are for dairy-I looked at what they sell, and it’s all meat— I live in NY-
Unless the laws are way different, they still own it. They fed it, paid for it....even if they are going to butcher and sell it.

Last edited:
In Missouri if livestock escape onto your property your required to give the owner notice. They are required to remove it within so many days. If they do not you can take it to the sale barn and pay the owners the proceeds minus your hauling expense.

If it gets onto your property and you don't let them know and keep it. Its still stealing.

Where in NY???

So you're suggesting that you're "Definitely Not" going to vandalize someones property...
To steal their animals....
Because you feel bad about them being farm animals. Yeah that's SUPER not OK and you should feel ashamed if that's what you're considering. (There's a number of organizations who do this that are on terrorist watch lists. They're on those for a reason.)

No you don't get to keep someones property just because it's on your land and you want it. For example if I steal your neighbors TV and put it in your house, that TV doesn't become yours - it still belongs to your neighbor. It's just now belonging to your neighbor and in your house. If I lend you a shirt, the shirt is still mine even though it's on your property. If I accidentally leave my wallet at a restaurant it doesn't now belong to the restaurant. You are required to put forth due effort to find the owner of a piece of property before you're allowed to claim it as your own or else all heck would break loose.

That aside, if animals are being abused I'm sure you're aware that there's organizations you can call. If they're not being abused and you just don't like that they're being used for meat, I suggest you take a page out of the toddlers "when to tell a teacher" handbook and ask yourself if you're minding your own business.

No you shouldn’t do that. That’d be stealing..

if an animal were to slip under without me touching them
Does that mean 'if an animal escaped into my grounds' or 'if I lured it out'?
Is the slaughter house just horrible because it's a slaughter house?
Unfortunately these things exist.

But good news. It isn't illegal to go in and ask if you can purchase a live lamb or kid.

Back
Top Bottom