If a male is attacking another is it likely a male too?

crimsonmama

Chirping
Jan 2, 2017
I have five quail hatched together who are now five weeks old. Three are white two are golden. Both my golden look like they are getting the male tan colour. However one of my goldens is attacking one of my whites and it has cuts on its head now. Is it unlikely to be female if a male is attacking it? But he's not picking on the other suspected/known male?
I've tried vent sexing but I can't tell a difference. I've removed the poorly head pecked one so it can heal up. I put it near my older males and they didn't try to hump it! Another sign it's male? I'm hoping maybe they will accept it "him" if it turns out a boy.....

And just as a side note: I had a female that picked on another female but since they moved to live outside seem ok now. Or maybe have finished establishing their pecking order??

Last edited:
Apparently coturnix sometimes dislike their white fellows. They kind of seem to be racist. Separating the beat up one is the right thing to do, but reintroducing it to anything not white might be very had.
I have buttons, but I've also experienced two females fighting. They were sisters and brought up together, so establishing pecking order doesn't seem to explain it. I also moved them outside, to an enclosure roughly 4 times as big as the one they had inside, and that apparently solved the problem. It's been a year now with no issues, one of them hatched chicks last year and the other helped raise them :)

Apparently coturnix sometimes dislike their white fellows. They kind of seem to be racist. Separating the beat up one is the right thing to do, but reintroducing it to anything not white might be very had.
I have buttons, but I've also experienced two females fighting. They were sisters and brought up together, so establishing pecking order doesn't seem to explain it. I also moved them outside, to an enclosure roughly 4 times as big as the one they had inside, and that apparently solved the problem. It's been a year now with no issues, one of them hatched chicks last year and the other helped raise them :)

You could be right as the only white male I had in my older chicks also seemed to be disliked near maturity. But he's doing well with a very placid laid back Golden male and they even seem to miss each other when separated. These are the two I hope will accept the bullied white guy if it turns out to be a guy! Not such a prob if turns out female as I got people queing up to buy females.

Back
Top Bottom