If all chickens had to be cageless

Quote:
Do you REALLY want to know? Take a trip to Mexico and look at how food is grown there. Same w/other 3rd world countries and because we outlaw them in USA and turn around and IMPORT it here..........out of sight out of mind.

In my opinion, there is not any difference. I know how bad it is in other countries. That is why I don't support them. I don't want anyone to, I don't want people to support the abuse in this country either. I don't buy meat or animal products from anywhere because in my opinion an animal is only happy if he gets to run around and play (and I don't support eating meat, but I don't want to get into that.)

Last edited:
Quote:
I like levity. Sometimes it saves a thread that might go sour.

Just something to keep in mind.
wink.png

Quote:
Not to mention that cheaper food means more artificial and processed foods, which to some degree has been a contributing factor to the nationwide obesity crisis....

That is completley true. That is why noone should eat processed foods. Some of the cheapest foods are the most healthful. Compared to fast food at least. Bulk whole grains, vegetables, fruit and water. Nothing is cheap, but I am sure a lot of people could give up things they don't need to buy more healthful foods.

Last edited:
Quote:
Onthespot:

Your questions illustrate why Proposition 2 must be defeated. It is flawed with ambiguous terms, consequences, and potential for "Humane Organizations" like organization, PETA, ALF, and Animal Sanctuary to have the power to inspect commercial operations without notice thereby granting Quasi-Governmental authority.

Jim

well im just saying, even if their riskin stuff like that, at least they live a happy life......i mean really, do you really think they LIKE bein in those lil cages? and its all for money, makes me just sick inside -_-

Justin:

The flawed and immature logic you used is the reason this Proposition will probably pass, to the detriment of the Poultry Industry and the citizens of California. The replacement of critical thinking with emotion, anthropomorphism, and belief in the Hollywood Whackos bodes poorly for true improvement in modern livestock production in California.

Jim

Last edited:
Quote:
I like levity. Sometimes it saves a thread that might go sour.

Just something to keep in mind.
wink.png

I'm sorry, forgot to turn on my sarcasm meter so you would realize that is the intent..........
cool.png

The major problem is some people want the animal industry stopped period. Some want it controlled more, some want no control (altho I haven't read ANY posts on that). This proposal as written will do 2 things.

1) drive layer farms out of California to Mexico and other USA states (won't change the chickens life except their place of residence).

2) Anyone who wants to stop back yard flocks will be able to prosecute most people w/this bill.

Let's all agree that this is a badly written bill no matter how good the intentions.

I live in a small town on Interstate 80
between San Francisco and Reno. Since it is about the half way mark many stop here to eat. While at lunch over the weekend, I was seating in a booth next to some of those for this Prop. Listening to them I learned that once they get it passed here, every state will follow.I have 300 nest boxes for about 500 hens. Each next box is a milk crate that is just the right size for them. Especially when they go broody. If this prop is passed I will need to reduce my flock or increase the size of each nest box. Figure this, if a chicken is in a next box and someone holds it's wings out, the wings CAN NOT TOUCH the sides of the nest box. What they say in the prop is not how it will be enforced. Any goup that wants to check your coops out can do so with NO search warrant or anything. They will be able to walk onto anyone property looking for any animals. The fifteen acers I have will not be large enough for the chckens, horses, sheep, dog and cats I have. There are days when I don't see some of the animals, but I know they are there for their feed is gone. I do lose a chicken or two to predators, but that is natural. I don't know about you, but the first time someone comes here and tells me how to care for my animals. Will if you have read any of my past posts, you know what the out come will be. I know that most if not all of us here on this site care for our critters better than some care for their children. This prop is pure poison. I only hope it is defeated. Look at how far we have come in the care of our animals. A hundred years ago, cattle fended for themselves on the open range. Chickens found food where they could. The only farm animal that was kept in a pen was pigs, for they couldn't be found if turned lose. Yes, some changes may be needed, but not this one. All those that are backing this prop have no idea what is in the minds of those that wrote it.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Justin:

The flawed and immature logic you used is the reason this Proposition will probably pass, to the detriment of the Poultry Industry and the citizens of California. The replacement of critical thinking with emotion, anthropomorphism, and belief in the Hollywood Whackos bodes poorly true improvement in modern livestock production in California.

Jim

How is it improvement though, Jim?​

Quote:
My understanding of the prop is that it pertains to birds that are "confined" to small spaces, yours are not confined. They go in there to lay, or to roost, but their waking non-laying hours are not spent in confinement like what is the target of this bill.

Whether or not this is the right bill, I am very glad to see that as a nation we are beginning to have a conversation about how livestock is treated. The large commercial ag interests have all but wiped out small farmers in this nation, by the practices that we are discussing here (as well as slowly slowly bending the farm relief bills to subsidize themselves over small farmers, but that's another subject). Yes, the price we pay for cheap food is low in the grocery store, but the real cost (environmental damage that must be cleaned up, for example) pushes the actual price much higher. The big ag line that we must have these practices to "feed a hungry nation" is balogne. We create many times more calories per person than is needed in this nation. I wouldn't give them a free pass on anything, let alone their unsustainable, inhumane treatment of animals. They are large corporations that exist entirely to make profits for their share-holders, that's their job, ours is to make sure that it's done in a way that is not causing harm to the general public (us), or to anything else, for that matter.

There is just no way that keeping a sentient creature (as all know chickens and cows are) in battery cages is humane. And I am sorry, but I feel that it will be one of the things that future generations will look back on and gasp at.

Panner, you are one of the good guys that I hope will eventually benefit from leveling the playing field to favor the small farmers of our country. If this CA bill impacts someone like you, who does not confine his birds in an inhumane, tiny cage all the time, then it isn't the right bill. But, I really don't think you are the target.

Back
Top Bottom