If anyone agrees with me that Easter Eggers are more than just mutts respond to this thread NOW

I suppose if you s t r e a c h e d it, they could be considered a landrace.

But they are mutts. They don't have a standard or even a set guideline for what they're supposed to look like or even lay, which even landraces do once they're established as a landrace. There isn't one that says "this landraces lays blue, but they might lay brown or green or white too"

I suppose if you s t r e a c h e d it, they could be considered a landrace.

But they are mutts. They don't have a standard or even a set guideline for what they're supposed to look like or even lay, which even landraces do once they're established as a landrace. There isn't one that says "this landraces lays blue, but they might lay brown or green or white too"
Please remember I don’t want to start an argument.
All good points. I should have clarified but what I meant for this thread to be about is what I said on this post:
It’s kinda hard to explain but bare with me:
Just to be clear I am going off the fact that you read my article on the topic, I posted the link when I made this thread.
At the beginning Easter Eggers* were a specific strain with lineage coming from Chile. What I’m talking about in this thread is those Easter Eggers. Not the mixes and hybrids of today. There is nothing wrong with calling your mixes EEs as nowadays that’s what an EE is. Originally though, they were their own specific thing.
*at the time they were not called Easter Eggers
My bad for not specifying :oops:

What even is an Easter Egger anymore? Originally the term was tossed around as a term for birds laying green or blue eggs, but they aren't even that anymore.

I believe the current definition being thrown around is "a bird that can lay any colored eggs and have any features." What bird doesn't fit that description?

So no, Easter Eggers are not a breed. And they never have been a breed. And never will be a breed.

There is nothing wrong with easter eggers. Saying they are not a breed is not demeaning to them, it's just fact. I love EEs, they are some of my favorite birds, but a breed they are not.

What even is an Easter Egger anymore? Originally the term was tossed around as a term for birds laying green or blue eggs, but they aren't even that anymore.

I believe the current definition being thrown around is "a bird that can lay any colored eggs and have any features." What bird doesn't fit that description?

So no, Easter Eggers are not a breed. And they never have been a breed. And never will be a breed.

There is nothing wrong with easter eggers. Saying they are not a breed is not demeaning to them, it's just fact. I love EEs, they are some of my favorite birds, but a breed they are not.
All good points but again:
Just to be clear I am going off the fact that you read my article on the topic, I posted the link when I made this thread.
At the beginning Easter Eggers* were a specific strain with lineage coming from Chile. What I’m talking about in this thread is those Easter Eggers. Not the mixes and hybrids of today. There is nothing wrong with calling your mixes EEs as nowadays that’s what an EE is. Originally though, they were their own specific thing.

If the birds from back then are different to what we now know as Easter Eggers, and the birds back then were not even called Easter Eggers, why are they now being called Easter Eggers?

They were originally called Araucana, and I've heard the argument that many now call them EEs because "Araucana" is now a breed recongnized by the APA, but if the birds back then still aren't what are now known as "Easter Eggers" how is that any different to them being called Araucana even though there is now other birds called Araucanas?

I’m a duck sort of person rather than a chicken sort of person. I like chickens. I just don’t own them. However, I’ve always wondered about the hatred towards the poor dear EE. I can’t count how many posts I’ve read where some poor soul has been told that their beloved bird is “just” an EE, not whatever fancy breed they were led to believe it was. They seem like perfectly beautiful birds! I don’t think anyone gets in a fervor about duck breeds in the same way. No one ever tells anyone that their duck is “just” a barnyard mix, at least not in the same almost shaming way. So, I guess I’ll stand up for the dear Easter Eggers!
I can’t agree more. They are incredibly hardy, sweet, and have the nicest personality. I have two. No health issues ever.
ABAD5A10-CE43-4DFD-BB62-7E2BCDAA1A3E.jpeg

If the birds from back then are different to what we now know as Easter Eggers, and the birds back then were not even called Easter Eggers, why are they now being called Easter Eggers?

They were originally called Araucana, and I've heard the argument that many now call them EEs because "Araucana" is now a breed recongnized by the APA, but if the birds back then still aren't what are now known as "Easter Eggers" how is that any different to them being called Araucana even though there is now other birds called Araucanas?
They started out one and the same then gradually degraded into mixes
Gtg eat dinner

Easter Eggers are just a lovely way of selling people hundreds of chicks that are promised to lay rainbow coloured eggs and sit in your lap all day and look pretty.
They are a figment of someone's imagination to make a lot of money by selling mutts

They started out one and the same then gradually degraded into mixes
Gtg eat dinner
But the same could be said for Araucana? They started as the Araucanas imported, then later some became the Araucana breed, then later those breeding muffed and rumped varieties of the birds got what is now the "Ameraucana" accepted. Then people later went back and changed what were called Araucanas to Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom