If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
The farm supply stores serving serving the majority of backyard poultry keepers here have less inventory than a week ago in terms of poultry feed but not running out on most things and will be getting fresh shipments in soon. I was not able to get my preferred chick feed so had to settle for one with more fines.

I honestly don't know what I'd do. We are surrounded by woods so I could let mine forage; the reason I don't all the time is because there are too many hawks and other predators around. But I have been letting them out more often to try to stretch the feed. I've been lucky so far and our property is fenced in and there is cover. But that wouldn't stop a hawk 100%.
Restrict time they are out foraging to near end of the day and be out with them. Train them up to come when rewarded with treats if you need to get them in before roosting time.

I guess I have a question about growing for the chickens. I have found so far that they tend to eat the first leaves and the plant has no chance to grow to maturity. Also, when they have had access to the compost pile. They scratch it out totally and it ends up completely svattered. How do you all do it? I feel like the more I think I know, the less I really do, lol
It depends on what you grow. Some things can be grown in a grass frame, a wood frame covered with hardware cloth. Other things you can use tomato cages covered with the same or even just chicken wire to protect, the chickens can feed off what grows out the sides. Or, you can have an area protected from the flock and either toss the plants and damaged produce after you harvest or let the flock in to clean things up. Lots of options for creativity there.

I live in a rural area but this has even crossed my mind too. Being in the country we have a variety of wild and domestic predators. To free range would put my flock of chickens and ducks in danger. I stocked up on 400 lbs of layer, 50 lbs cracked corn (cold days or nights) and I have about 30 lbs of chick feed that was left over from winter chicks. I also look for clearance foods such as greens, fruits and other veggies. I keep bagged popcorn kernels to be air popped as a treat. When I can't sell all their eggs, any over 14 days get cooked and feed back - shells n all. Today I walked around the yard gathering dandelion leaves for them. We're putting up a greenhouse to start plants next week using heat lamps due to temperatures and one could do same on a rooftop. I also have neighbors that bring us everything from old bread to veggies for them on occasion. If one had a room that could be turned into an indoor "greenhouse" using grow lights, that could provide a steady food supply for chickens and owners too. Bird seed but make sure to limit sunflower seeds and nuts that some contain due to the fat content, use those for treats. Also if straw is used in coop, that makes a good compost for gardens. I pile mine off to the side all year and use the oldest to mix into gardens, rain helps dilute the poop. The used straw also helps gardens to retain moisture during lack of rain times. There's also recipes for making your own feed and remember to feed them back egg shells for calcium or buy oyster shell.

I myself am trying to develope a chicken that lays toilet paper rolls(aka current golden eggs) be trying different plant and outdated bread store loafs they give away when expiration date is reached. All the grocery stores are out of their 10 month old Eggs in any container so I have people knocking on my door when they see my eggs for sale sign in road by driveway.. They have wiped out 3 refrigerators of eggs of month old Eggs so it is getting in the way of developing that tp rolls golden eggs project. I'm putting fertilizer out on field before next rain to green things up for chickens and bee's to feed on. Large bags of sugar are being hoarded for making syrup for spring hive health from every store. Buying a couple 4 lb bags is not cost effective. Gonna have to start trading eggs for sugar to make syrup for bee's!

I just got back from TSC. I ordered 3+ months of chicken feed online, drove to the store, called them from the parking !ot, and they rolled it out the door for me.

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
I guess I'd start a fodder station. Something I always wanted but haven't yet. That is if you can even get barley seed, if not, any grass type or oats, wheat, alfalfa would be okay with me, with this, can be used all year, others may not approve but we're just running this around, right. Than any excess eggs I would scramble with the shells and feed back to them. What food scrapes I don't give to them, I'd put in a garbage can and let flies lay eggs and feed them the maggots. Being maggots multiply like crazy, I would wash them and freeze for winter feeding too. Than, what others have said with the greenhouse idea. Can't think of anything else right now.

We can't really free range our chickens (3 leghorns). We live in a suburb. We do "walk" them and let them around the backyard but if we don't watch them, they will leave the yard. We wonder if they would come back or if they would be gone for good... We have opened up our compost pile so they do scratch through it and eat worms. I made a run to our feed store the other day (The Feed Store). They said chicken food was totally fine but dog and cat food is in short supply and they are limiting it to 1 bag per customer.

I'm just now getting caught back up with this thread from last week.
So. Many. Great. Ideas.

I saw several have mentioned offal from fish, and on the Caronavirus thread I mentioned that I'd like to get/fashion a minnow net because I have a creek full of minnows, small fish, snails, and crayfish. Probably not ideal as a sole ration, but certainly a way to add protein to other items from foraging or kitchen scraps.

RE: the compost question. On my other farm my girls had full access to my cold compost piles and they loved it! They did the turning and work and were rewarded with tasty bits, worms, and bugs. Hot (fast and active) piles may not have the bugs but cold ( slow inactive) piles do.
Cold piles don't have the same ratio of greens and browns so they don't heat up or churn out finished compost as fast, however they are usually full of worms and bugs that could sustain a flock.

Re: Supplementing usual chicken feed suppliers if there is a shortage:

May-late Oct., my birds free range and they eat all of my compost/home food waste year round. Turning food waste into eggs is one of my hens' greatest features & I rarely, if ever, need to purchase feed in the summer.

During the Vermont winter, when free range is not an option in my pasture, I have a handful of friends - families with kids & plenty of food waste - who regularly bring me their compost. I appreciate free & easy feed for my hens, and I generally give my friends 12-18 eggs once or twice a month. Everybody wins.

Neighbors/friends compost may not fully replace bags of commercial chicken feed if there is a shortage. However, it significantly curtails the need to purchase and rely on what is commercially available.

Plus, the greatest advantage/reward is having grateful friends, who receive fresh eggs, in exchange for the "high cost of giving me their garbage. Everybody wins when we are all in this together.

Let's hope any shortages are brief and may we (and our birds) be healthy.
-cl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom