If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
Interesting topic. If it came down to it, I wouls go foraging while I am waiting for plants in the garden to grow. I know of weeds around here that are safe that the chickens love, and I would probably bring any bugs back that I could. We have a bit of wild desert around here so foraging wouldn't be impossible. I may ask others of they have produce they won't use, plenty of bugs, or yard clippings.

If I were growing, I would probably grow their favorites whenever possible - spinach, cilantro, watermelon, tomatoes, etc.
Exactly, normally I do not have a big garden but in a time such as this I have decided to pull out all the stops! Planting food that my family and my chickens will eat. I think my girls will enjoy the water melons and pumpkins squash etc. I unearthed a huge pile of grubs and worms with my tractor while getting the area for corn ready and gave it to them day before yesterday. They thanked me yesterday with 30 eggs, the most since last fall! Don't kid yourselves about this not being a zombie apocalypse, when supplies begin to run low people will act just like a zombie horde. Gun shops in our area are selling out of ammunition. Just be ready to protect your flock and yourselves.

I personally don't think animal feed stores will be running out of stock like supermarkets are. I mean there are more people than farm animals in most medium sized towns, and animals aren't affected by the virus (I have heard varying opinions on that) so I won't worry unless the situation gets way worse
My local ranch store owner told me yesterday that vender are still delivering on schedule, but that folks are buying just a little bit more on each trip. Hopefully nothing will spook folks into hoarding.

I did buy 4 bags of feed on my last trip instead of the normal 2. It doesn’t keep forever. My main reason is that I have a drive to buy (my preferred) feed, and since I’ve been laid off work and Church is closed, I won’t be able to stop on a combined trip.

As far as the OP, last year I planted grapevines over the run. Hopefully this year they will have grapes. I might even get some, LOL. I also planted roses along one end and I know they will eat leaves and hips. When I feed scratch (with plenty of live seeds) I let a little fall just outside and it grows to give them bits to pick at through the wire. They also get just about all household scraps (their morning treat) and they have tossed seeds out the back by scratching and planted veggies along that strip. From really bad scraps we cultivate soldier flies in summer. They will predate any lizards or small animals that go in the run. We toss in raked leaves and grass clippings and that seems to draw a huge bunch of insects in for them to hunt and makes them very happy. (We live in Florida, and have a number of large oaks so lots of small leaves.) I do pull clovers and other weeds for them but I’m running low on weeds. Any extra or damaged eggs go back to them (cooked). They get any damaged fruit or veggies we grow.

All of this is not really an alternative feeding plan. It’s more for their enrichment and entertainment. But it DOES supplement their diet, and if need be some of these ideas can be a jumping-off place. I’d probably put something in the run to draw even more insects to them, and purposely plant more grain for them and use a soaking method for grain fed to them in order to get more benefit from it. And cull down the flock - especially the several hens whose only real purpose is to brood eggs. I’d keep at least two, but we have more than that. They tend to be favorites and get passed over more than generic egg-layers when we have to decrease numbers.

Always good to glean ideas to save on food costs and provide variety for our gals! My thoughts? Most have been said, hardware cloth frame over some grass or seeds to provide a mini pasture in the run, chicken wire / stake compost and seed filled cylinders (think tomato cages) to allow for more vertical growing space, compost heap turned weekly for microbiota, ask neighbors for scraps or yard waste as well as my own in exchange for a couple eggs, weeds, urban foraging, guppy aquarium (babies every 30 days,) raise mealworms, black soldier fly, urban foraging, collect pests from my garden, crush and return eggshells, raise mice, expand plantings of edible / low maintanence foods (comfrey, mountain grape holly, wild roses, tulips, Jerusalem Artichoke, sunflowers, etc.) Not sure which of these I'd do for sure. Would depend on specific need and time of the year.

Other things you can use tomato cages covered with the same or even just chicken wire to protect, the chickens can feed off what grows out the sides.

^This is a very appropriate use for chicken wire. The holes are large enough for the chickens to easily pick at forage without being able to completely destroy it. Depending on what you grow you can also benefit from it - one of my favorite things to grow is carrots because you can eat the carrots and the chickens enjoy the greens.

Currently my chickens favorite snack are willow leaf buds (there's a weeping willow overhanging the run). They'll jump up and down and try to strip the branches bare and will continue to do so until the leaves are fully grown in. With a large tree it's impossible for them to do enough damage to harm it.

I'm fortunate too that I have an acre or two of wild blackberry that we don't eat/harvest in any fashion, so come summer the birds are very happy to pick off berries that otherwise go to waste. Sometimes people passing by will pick a few baskets of berries from the main street but as long as they're not wandering onto the lot that has never bothered me, might as well let folks eat them.

I did buy 4 bags of feed on my last trip instead of the normal 2. It doesn’t keep forever. My main reason is that I have a drive to buy (my preferred) feed, and since I’ve been laid off work and Church is closed, I won’t be able to stop on a combined trip.

That sounds reasonable. I do hope folks remember that feed degrades over time, so while stocking up a little is a good idea right now (and I plan on buying 2 bags next time instead of just 1), buying massive amounts of feed that you can't possibly use up or store is just hoarding.

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
If I didn’t have food, I would probably just go around to the neighbors and find out which ones do not use sprays or chemicals and then just get their grass clippings and plant clippings. I think I would just buy oats and corn and stuff like that from the grocery store.I am sure the neighbors would not mind if I went around with a big bucket and pulled weeds from their front yard, LOL!

I really like these ideas. I can't free range because there are so many raptors on the mountain top where I live. Also lots of mean raccoons and other predators if I let the chicks out. But I love the idea of a small, enclosed garden inside the very large enclosure mine are in. I might try that. I also give them weeds, vegetable and fruit scraps, seeds, suet that I buy or make. It is fairly shady in their enclosure in the summer. Can anyone recommend a good plant to grow in low or part sun?

Exactly, normally I do not have a big garden but in a time such as this I have decided to pull out all the stops! Planting food that my family and my chickens will eat. I think my girls will enjoy the water melons and pumpkins squash etc. I unearthed a huge pile of grubs and worms with my tractor while getting the area for corn ready and gave it to them day before yesterday. They thanked me yesterday with 30 eggs, the most since last fall! Don't kid yourselves about this not being a zombie apocalypse, when supplies begin to run low people will act just like a zombie horde. Gun shops in our area are selling out of ammunition. Just be ready to protect your flock and yourselves.
My son told me last night that stores around us are sold out of guns & ammo. I don't know why I would be surprised, but I was and it makes you reconsider lots of things, like the safety of your animals from the humans in the area.

Back
Top Bottom