If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
Anyone taking more seriously an interruption or change in feed availability? In some areas at least there will be store closures and those serving animal keepers may not get a pass for staying open, at least as until enough people complain to make an exception.

We currently have a prohibition on gatherings of more than 250 people. Retail is currently exempt from this.

That said I have an unopened bag of grower feed I picked up recently so my flock will be good for a while even if I can't get the layer feed I normally use. But I only have 7 birds so keeping them fed isn't as much of a hardship.

Worst case scenario I order online and pay the mark up for shipping, as long as that remains an option.

Agree, but if movement is restricted, then there might not be food available when needed. Thus it's rational to prepare for such an eventuality.
You keep chickens don't you...
Anyone taking more seriously an interruption or change in feed availability? In some areas at least there will be store closures and those serving animal keepers may not get a pass for staying open, at least as until enough people complain to make an exception. Countries in world that have been nay sayers have been getting hammered before they start shutting business doors. My state has been doing a lot of nay saying so far.
The feed stores here are not subject to the lockdown and have made provisions for delivery if necessary.
Spain is about to go into full lockdown. Some towns are already.

Our feed stores have not delivered for a long time and when they did it was on the order of several hundred pounds at the least. I could walk with a wagon all the way to our nearest co-op (MFA) but my chickens do not like their feed as much unless wetted. Too many fines.

This flock will be just fine, the neighbor's have 12 fenced in acres they'ed gladly let the kids forage on.
The guy across the street has 6 and both property chunks have running streams so they'll have water and creek critters to eat.
I would of course keep those kind folks in eggs.
I have told them i'd help them start a personal meat flock if they wanted.
A meat flock would be 100% their project though.
I get too attached these days so I couldn't hang with butchering at all.
Im fair though, im not keen to starve those around me got no issues at all about making them work a bit though.:)

What a cool thread with great ideas! I'm getting my garden started, with lots of goodies especially for my chickens. I have 12 hens, so I'm getting 9-12 eggs a day - way too many for my 2-person household. I often cook up a dozen or two, mixing in the crushed shells, oats, raisins, food scraps, weeds, etc, and feed it to the flock, and they LOVE it. If there came a time when I can't get regular feed, would a diet of mostly eggs be OK for long-term?

What a cool thread with great ideas! I'm getting my garden started, with lots of goodies especially for my chickens. I have 12 hens, so I'm getting 9-12 eggs a day - way too many for my 2-person household. I often cook up a dozen or two, mixing in the crushed shells, oats, raisins, food scraps, weeds, etc, and feed it to the flock, and they LOVE it. If there came a time when I can't get regular feed, would a diet of mostly eggs be OK for long-term?
A few pages back I posted that I have often mixed hard boiled eggs with feed and scraps into regular layer feed without an appreciable drop in egg production. I have at times fed only hard boiled eggs with scraps if I happen to be out of feed for a few days, however I've not done it long term so don't know.
If it were me, I'd start mixing a little in now to help ration the feed and make it last longer. Though I have plenty of feed for now, I'm drowning in eggs so have some set aside to hard boil tomorrow to start adding in. It's just more eggs than we can eat or barter with neighbors for other things .....like toilet paper. :D

A few pages back I posted that I have often mixed hard boiled eggs with feed and scraps into regular layer feed without an appreciable drop in egg production. I have at times fed only hard boiled eggs with scraps if I happen to be out of feed for a few days, however I've not done it long term so don't know.
If it were me, I'd start mixing a little in now to help ration the feed and make it last longer. Though I have plenty of feed for now, I'm drowning in eggs so have some set aside to hard boil tomorrow to start adding in. It's just more eggs than we can eat or barter with neighbors for other things .....like toilet paper. :D
To heck with the chickens getting the extra eggs ... I'm pickling 'em. I LOVE pickled beets & eggs. This Easter, all my eggs are gonna be soft and purple!

Not because of the virus, but because I want one, I'm adding a greenhouse to extend gardening season here. The chickens and rabbits eat same veggies we like and I always plant the gardens with them in mind as well. I've had success planting vines like cucumber outside the run and let it climb. In addition to a dedicated compost area the run doubles as a secondary compost too. I think its crucial to have some ability to grow food, be it veggies or meat. The break down of our social structure is far more worrisome than the actual virus for "most". At least it's not a zombie apocalypse.:sick
The kids next door were hanging out on their front porch, waving at the few passersby ... all dressed like zombies. That's ONE way to keep 'em busy & happy while school's out!
And I'm starting my seeds, today. I hadn't thought about amaranth ... but that's a great idea. I may even have some old seeds. Maybe a few will sprout.

Back
Top Bottom