If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
My family owns an international feed company and I can say there is plenty to go around and animal feed is considered an essential by government standards. We have remained fully operational even in places of closure. But having a stock pile of food options is always a good idea... bad whether, finances, bad growing year.. theres alot of everyday types reason to have a feeding back up plan.

I guess I have a question about growing for the chickens. I have found so far that they tend to eat the first leaves and the plant has no chance to grow to maturity. Also, when they have had access to the compost pile. They scratch it out totally and it ends up completely svattered. How do you all do it? I feel like the more I think I know, the less I really do, lol

I have promoted edible landscapes for years and often on here as well. Using fruit/nut bearing trees and shrubs, having a "garden" in flower beds, pots, etc. Are all ways to supplement food for you and your chickens and take up no space (because you are replacing ornamental plants with more useful ones).
Its not that handy now for those dont garden or felt they didn't have the room to garden but can be easily started. The growing season is just underway! Its not too late!
😆 get your handsin the dirt people!

Not because of the virus, but because I want one, I'm adding a greenhouse to extend gardening season here. The chickens and rabbits eat same veggies we like and I always plant the gardens with them in mind as well. I've had success planting vines like cucumber outside the run and let it climb. In addition to a dedicated compost area the run doubles as a secondary compost too. I think its crucial to have some ability to grow food, be it veggies or meat. The break down of our social structure is far more worrisome than the actual virus for "most". At least it's not a zombie apocalypse.:sick

Attachments

• C9D84119-C902-4E69-93BB-88088DD8BD26.jpeg
    C9D84119-C902-4E69-93BB-88088DD8BD26.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
I like all these ideas! Thanks for starting this thread. @AltonaAcres, the feedstores might be closed for mandatory govt imposed reasons, or trucking companies might not be able to run, or it's the apocalypse and there's no more gas in your truck, etc.
We went through a lot of feed this winter, and I was wishing I had prepared ahead to limit that. So regardless of our current situation, learning ways to reduce the feedstore bill would be great!
Seasonally, spring and summer and into fall should supply many wild-harvested items. We should probably all learn what wild edibles are growing in the woods and ditches around us, for our own sake. Chickens will eat meat, so any little wild critters that you might not be willing to eat, your chickens might be happy to consume. In addition, any food that goes slightly off (like cheese), they'll happily take.
Winter will be your challenge, so collecting nuts, seeds, grains, etc. during the summer and fall will be essential. Maybe grow some root crops that will preserve well, or harvest and freeze greens if you have freezer space. Frozen lettuce and dandelions? Yum to them!

Not too many restaurants are actually open. In some places people have to shelter in place, going out for necessities only. That's fine in an ordinary world.

The point is for people to learn HOW to do the technique using scraps and natural elements. Of course his bulk method is excessive for most people. A little imagination as to how to apply this for oneself is all that is required. it is especially beneficial since most people seem to be showing an interest in doing more gardening for themselves and their chickens and the compost made (even if it is less than the video) will help the gardening efforts.

I honestly don't know what I'd do. We are surrounded by woods so I could let mine forage; the reason I don't all the time is because there are too many hawks and other predators around. But I have been letting them out more often to try to stretch the feed. I've been lucky so far and our property is fenced in and there is cover. But that wouldn't stop a hawk 100%.

The point is for people to learn HOW to do the technique using scraps and natural elements. Of course his bulk method is excessive for most people. A little imagination as to how to apply this for oneself is all that is required. it is especially beneficial since most people seem to be showing an interest in doing more gardening for themselves and their chickens and the compost made (even if it is less than the video) will help the gardening efforts.
True.

Back
Top Bottom