If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
Just like humans, chickens eat anything - they'd eat you if given the chance. Any kitchen scraps, greens, potato and veggie peels (they prefer them cooked), sour milk/dairy, meat, soup bones, fish, crab and shrimp - guts, shells and heads. Avocado can be toxic to chickens so don't put avocado in your kitchen scraps.

We run a small farm and sell eggs on subscription. Our egg customers prepay and pick up a dozen each week. When they pick up their dozen, they drop off their kitchen scraps in the barrel next to the egg fridge. They love the idea of keeping their kitchen scraps out of the garbage and helping to feed the chickens that provide them eggs. They also put their egg shell in the scraps, which is a good source of calcium for the chickens, just like shellfish shells.

One year we grew a beautiful border of flax around our garden, when it was ready the chickens helped themselves. We also grow sunflowers they are beautiful, we save and dry the seed heads to feed to the chickens in the winter. We collect windfall fruit around the neighborhood, save it in buckets and feed it all fall and winter. Pumpkins are another good keeper that can be easily stored and fed to the chickens, they love the seeds.

Chickens like snails, they eat slugs, but not happily, ducks love slugs.

We raise/butcher pigs and sheep. Any bits we consider inedible (which isn't much) go to the chickens.

Another idea we have considered, and seen used, but not for chickens: Save grass clippings and ferment them in a barrel. The grass will ferment and get sticky and sweet. A friend does this and feeds to his goats and sheep. Chickens love fresh grass, I bet chickens would learn to like this too. Just make sure the clippings are from untreated lawns.

My son told me last night that stores around us are sold out of guns & ammo. I don't know why I would be surprised, but I was and it makes you reconsider lots of things, like the safety of your animals from the humans in the area.
Gun stores around here had a line out the door. I have plenty on hand to protect my family and livestock. I really don’t understand why people don’t have anything on hand and find the need to make a mad dash when chit hits the fan. My only concern is that if first responders become ill we are left to police ourselves kind of. Its always good to be prepared. Be kind to one another!!

I've actually run into this issue in a similar form. I own quail, not chicken. I have a problem where I can't find high protein feed locally. I managed to get Layer crumble but it's only 16% protein. I tried posting on another site asking about how to supplement but didn't get much help. I've been feeding them (there's 15) 2 boiled chicken eggs a day. I'm looking into trying to get my hands on roaches or mealworms for them but a lot of places (pet stores and such) are sold out of insects. I'm working on getting the supplies to build a larger ground pen for them; Currently, they are in a raised pen. I'm hoping if I can get them on the ground they can naturally forage for insects. If anyone has any other ideas, that would be great. For now, I'm just trying to supplement however I can.
I just ordered 22 lbs of dried mealworms from Tasty Worms I've only got 7 chickens, so that is good supplement/treats for months. But, at least they're still in stock there.

I forgot to mention Rugosa Roses. the hips are huge, and the chicks love the seeds inside. I just split them open and let them pick at them. They are invasive, so good to plant in a bucket or pot.

Also, a few years ago, I had let a few carrots go to seed. My husband was sick and I just didn't have time to deal with the garden. I had carrots growing everywhere between the pebbles in the paths of my raised bed garden, and pulled the tiny carrots/greens and fed them to the chicks all winter.

This time of year, chickweed is prolific here. My chickens love it. I pull it up by the handful. I also put it in salads, it's tender and delicious!
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 5.21.12 AM.png

I already have a plan for the zombie apocalypse. We'd let the chickens free range and forage (probably not great forage, but 4 acres should suffice for 7 birds). We'd survive off of veggie omelets. But once the end was nigh with zombies closing in, we'd start eating the chickens. Might as well go out with a bbq chicken dinner...
I can sprout the greens I need year round.

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I can sprout inside all year round as long as I have the seeds.

I think this is a completely awesome comment....and a month ago wouldn’t even be needed. However, I will be keeping an extra bag of laying pellets when o get out next week. My chickens free range but are not consistent layers without a quality layer pellet.

This global boat ride is going to last months. Feed supplies in my area (central Missouri, USA) are in my opinion likely to go uninterrupted. There are two problems that will still be arising. First is travel restrictions where common sense will get hopefully the majority of people to reduce the number of shopping runs to limit exposure or disease spread. I lot of people in my area are still in the Doubting Thomas stage which is going to cost everyone in the coming weeks. Secondly many of us are likely to experience an interruption or decrease in income. To compensate most will do like what my family is doing, become more frugal making meals of a size that involves less waste. Leftovers will be less likely to sit in fridge long enough to go bad.

Egg production I am targeting will be what is needed to provide a binder in food preparation, or as a treat.

I hatch chicks and will do so this year as well. The problem is that pushes my feed bill up to the highest it gets during the year further reducing my budget. Chicks for the table will be harvested earlier as a result. I will also be culling and eating hens that are under performing.

Crank up those gardens and compost bins. Set out light and pheromone traps if available and appropriate for insect community in your area . Seed what yard you have with a diversity of legumes and lets parts of the yard grow taller by not mowing as often. Even though insect productivity may not increase much, insects moving through will land and more likely stay in the deeper grass.

Black Soldier Fly cultures will likely be more appropriate than Meal Worm cultures for supplying an animal protein source for your birds, even though the former will be active only on a seasonal basis.

The concept of scratch grains needs to be revisited as a supplement reducing need for complete feeds rather than the high minded assertion that scratch grains should only be used as treats.

Many readers are likely to again discount concerns. You can be reminded of that lack of concern in the coming weeks to months.
I've always considered Scratch as a training tool to get the birds used to foraging, scattering it far and wide across the yard so they encounter bugs and learn how to find them. I've also started feeding them only once per day, about an hour before dark. It took about a week but now they've broke the nasty habit of laying on the porch all day pooping.
My best foragers are my games and game mixes. They spent most their lives foraging from birth. The Dualies (Orps, Rhodies, Rocks) have been spoiled and it's taken them a few weeks to get with the program. But there are still a few lazy hens that think they are queens and absolutely must be waited on hand and foot. I'll give them a few more weeks to straighten up, and start eating what God gives them. If not, They can walk the plank, and go swimming with the dumplings!
:gig

I honestly don't know what I'd do. We are surrounded by woods so I could let mine forage; the reason I don't all the time is because there are too many hawks and other predators around. But I have been letting them out more often to try to stretch the feed. I've been lucky so far and our property is fenced in and there is cover. But that wouldn't stop a hawk 100%.
That's why until lately I've tried to keep a self sustaining flock that can absorb even substantial losses. After my stroke, I went from a couple hundred to about 40. I've already lost to predators around 20 biddies. Now, I don't think that even 40 is self sustainable, unless I keep them locked up. My Great Pyr, Buddy, does a great job of keeping predators away. He's killed several buzzards that landed in the yard, as well as a hawk that was trying to get biddies. But as fast as he is, he's no match for most hawks. I saw a hawk swoop down and grab a baby and was gone faster than Buddy could could get halfway across the chicken yard. If you have the land to keep them and you let them free range, large flocks are about the only way to keep from them being wiped out completely.
With the panicking Cornholio Virus thugs hitting residences out here in the sticks for all the food, guns and any other thing of value, I wish I had another flock on an island in the swamp. Make it harder to the thugs to snatch my birds.
:yoda:

Back
Top Bottom