If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

My first 2 years keeping chickens I let them free range. Until my yard all the way around the house turned to a weedy sand lot. The 3rd year in, I've managed to mostly contain them in the back yard. But my old timers won't stay in. The major difference here is the amount of feed they consume is half as much when they run around the yard!!! HALF! That seems so significant! I want to garden, I want to have flower beds and garden areas. Can't do that with chickens everywhere. My goal here VERY soon is to build an egg mobile and get them onto the horse pasture.

But to answer your scenario... I'd build large raised frames, with wire on top, essentially making a framed in grow bed. grow forage crops for the birds. round wire cages for individual plants they can prune. Maggot buckets!! Have several compost piles to rotate their access to. Raise soldier flies, crickets, or mealworms. Also try my hand at fodder..

This year I had hubby build me a "scratch tractor", used tree logs to make an 8'x12'x2' frame and covered with a hoop roof tunnel, in there goes several wheel barrows of horse manure, I sprinkle sunflower seeds etc underneath, hose it all down and let the chickens pick through the manure and get it all broken up for me! Then after about 4-5 days I relocate all of that fine material into a compost bin. I have beautiful composted manure in less than 3 weeks. The chickens clean out all the weed seeds, bug larvae, and they get to the sprouts germinating at the bottom layer too. Not to mention it's enrichment for them as well.

We'd all be better off in the long run striving for sustainability!! Very thoughtful post!

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
I have planted the corn and milo and the other grains in scratch. it seeds and I pull it all up and give it to chickens, they love it. That might work, plus scraps and grass trimmings. Dig for worms and give them to the chickens. Around my rose beds I got a whole coffee can of worms, grub and earth worms in a few hours!

We are approaching situation here where I will not go to most of the feed stores. There is a lack of social distancing that is unnerving. Most patrons are doing what is smart but some are not and even some staff are sloppy in terms of how close they get to each other and customers. Further transactions will be done over the phone followed by curb pickup.

We are approaching situation here where I will not go to most of the feed stores. There is a lack of social distancing that is unnerving. Most patrons are doing what is smart but some are not and even some staff are sloppy in terms of how close they get to each other and customers. Further transactions will be done over the phone followed by curb pickup.

Our local feed store just recently stopped allowing customers inside the store and only does curb pickup. They do still allow people in the garden section though (they are a garden store too) and purchases at the outdoor register.

I believe the TSC though is still allowing people inside.

Our local feed store just recently stopped allowing customers inside the store and only does curb pickup. They do still allow people in the garden section though (they are a garden store too) and purchases at the outdoor register.

I believe the TSC though is still allowing people inside.
It is TSC store that concerns me most.

Our Massey 30E. Been thinking about selling it. We have quite a few implements for it. This is a 6' tiller on it. View attachment 2058992
Chipper shredder.
View attachment 2058995
This tractor get the most use.
View attachment 2058996
This one is for sale. 1952 Farmall Cub. This was shortly after hubby restored it. Also has discs for hilling corn and a Woods belly mower. This is with the sweeps on it for cultivating. Years ago we used it when we were growing corn.
View attachment 2058998
Those are some nice tractors! I don't see a lot of tractors with the cultivator underneath like that.

In case you want to build with pallets but need them taken apart. This way is much safer.....STILL wear safety glasses and good gloves though.
Look on Ebay for a pallet wrecker. It is a two prong gizmo with a place to thread in a 1.25" diameter water pipe. Imagine a crow bar with two wide spaced prongs that fit over a 2 x 4. About $50.00 shipped in and worth every penny as you can strip the 3/4" thick pallet boards without splintering most of them into scrap wood.

Look on Ebay for a pallet wrecker. It is a two prong gizmo with a place to thread in a 1.25" diameter water pipe. Imagine a crow bar with two wide spaced prongs that fit over a 2 x 4. About $50.00 shipped in and worth every penny as you can strip the 3/4" thick pallet boards without splintering most of them into scrap wood.

I have seen those. I wouldn't use it enough to justify buying one but they do look effective.

Back
Top Bottom