If I Feed Layer Crumble Do My Hens Need Oyster Shell?

If all they eat is the Layer, that normally has enough calcium for their egg shells. If they eat something low-calcium in addition to the Layer, they may need a calcium supplement. You have two ways you can go.

You can put oyster shell on the side. If they need it they instinctively seem to know they need it. If they don’t need it, that oyster shell will last a real long time.

Or you can look at your egg shells. If the shells are thick enough they are getting enough calcium. If they are thin they need more.

I always offer oyster shell on the side whether they need it or not. I consider it cheap insurance.

If all they eat is the Layer, that normally has enough calcium for their egg shells. If they eat something low-calcium in addition to the Layer, they may need a calcium supplement. You have two ways you can go.

You can put oyster shell on the side. If they need it they instinctively seem to know they need it. If they don’t need it, that oyster shell will last a real long time.

Or you can look at your egg shells. If the shells are thick enough they are getting enough calcium. If they are thin they need more.

I always offer oyster shell on the side whether they need it or not. I consider it cheap insurance.

I agree cheap insurance.

Ditto. Bought a bag 4 years ago for about 8 bucks. Finished the bag yesterday. Still have a whole bunch of crushed egg shells to use a as well.

Back
Top Bottom