If I get playsand for my chickens for a dust bath do I need grit too?

mountainchick5

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Pine,Colorado
I have a flock of 11 , 1/2 4wks and 1/2 6wks. I was going to get some playsand for their dust bath, and grit because they're going to start going in the garden and getting treats. I heard some people use playsand for grit. Should I get both or will playsand cover both areas? Thanks!

The sand will be fine. They will pick up grit from the ground as soon as you let them out. I still provided a little grit while they were still in the brooder just to be sure(plus i was giving treats). Save your money. Good Luck

Great! They're starting to get treats, so I wanted to be sure they had some form of grit and I'm glad I get to use the sand for both!
smile.png

I would get builders sand you can get it at lowes it is courser and it is cheaper than play sand... Builders sand is all I put in my breeding pens..

Chris

Great tip Chris. I'll check that out next time i go. I've been using play sand for small construction jobs. Didn't realize they had cheaper stuff.

ya its in the same area that the cement is ... Here in ohio it runs around 3.50 to 4.00 a 80lb bag and play sand runs about 6.00 to 8.00...

Chris

Back
Top Bottom