If I get playsand for my chickens for a dust bath do I need grit too?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mountainchick5, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mountainchick5

mountainchick5 In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Pine,Colorado
    I have a flock of 11 , 1/2 4wks and 1/2 6wks. I was going to get some playsand for their dust bath, and grit because they're going to start going in the garden and getting treats. I heard some people use playsand for grit. Should I get both or will playsand cover both areas? Thanks!

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    The sand will be fine. They will pick up grit from the ground as soon as you let them out. I still provided a little grit while they were still in the brooder just to be sure(plus i was giving treats). Save your money. Good Luck

3. mountainchick5

mountainchick5 In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Pine,Colorado
    Great! They're starting to get treats, so I wanted to be sure they had some form of grit and I'm glad I get to use the sand for both![​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would get builders sand you can get it at lowes it is courser and it is cheaper than play sand... Builders sand is all I put in my breeding pens..

Chris

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Great tip Chris. I'll check that out next time i go. I've been using play sand for small construction jobs. Didn't realize they had cheaper stuff.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    ya its in the same area that the cement is ... Here in ohio it runs around 3.50 to 4.00 a 80lb bag and play sand runs about 6.00 to 8.00...

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: