1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

if I had a dime for every time...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urban hen momma, Jun 25, 2011.

1. urban hen momma

urban hen momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    [​IMG] I swear I have to change the chicks water every few hours becasue they always have it full of bedding. The water is even sitting on top of an overturned plate to keep it higher. I don't want to make it so high that the runty one can't reach. It's driving me nuts.... anything else I can do to keep the bedding out of the water?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I used wood blocks of different sizes. I made a makeshift stairway to the top, so my bantam could get at the water too. I put the waterer in the corner of the brooder. It seemed to help a little.

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Nipple waterers are fantastic! Your dilemma was the exact reason I switched...you can check out my byc page for deets...

4. urban hen momma

urban hen momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Thank you both for these ideas!!

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I have my feeder and waterer sitting on low sided plant pots turned upside down. The base is wide enough to hold the feeder and waterer and as they get older, I replace with a taller pot.
    Course, that was my option since I have tons of clay plant pots here from the previous owner.

6. KSCluckah

KSCluckah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    I know what you mean!! I've got 32 that are ten weeks old now, and OHMYGOD is bedding & poop in
    the water tedious! I've got em in their brooder/chick palace right now, with a large playground under a
    maple tree. I have been a florist & an event planner most of my life; and we're known to be the mothers of
    invention, so I started noodling on the problem and looking around for a solution...I ended up buying a couple
    of those inexpensive plastic bowl shaped hanging planters, taking the hangers off and flipping them over and
    putting our one gallon waterers on those...puts them at just the right height and for the most part they
    don't tip them over. I also put one of those tin garage floor oil protector pans under the waterers when
    they're in their palace for the night, just in case they tip it over the water doesn't completely flood the
    bedding. When we move them into their permanent palace, I think we'll be using nipple waterers with cups.
    If and when we do, I'll probably switch to a terracotta bulb pot for the base of waterers, as they are short, squat
    and heavier. I'll drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the waterer, use rubber washers on the inside and outside
    and maybe even silicone sealant to make sure theres no leakage around the bolt and nut I use to fasten the bottom
    of the waterer to the terra cotta pot. I am anxious however to get the nipple system waterers going in the
    new coop! Hope this helps!

Peace.
    Mutha.
    [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have tried many ways to keep stuff out of the chicks water. Now I have a wire cage in my brooder coop. I leave the cage door open so they can go in and out of the brooder cage.I keep their water in the cage and that ways it stays pretty clean.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I use rabbit water bottles for my chicks. I show them how to work it by pushing their beaks against the ball in the end of the tube a couple of times, and they catch on quick. The water stays clean that way.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I stopped using "bedding" and switched to old towels. That solved the problem for me right away.

10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:I'm getting ready to set up nipple waterers! Anyone have good ideas for chicks? Thanks,

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by