If I hatch another rooster how do I find someone to rehome him?

The first few eggs are usually quite small. That does not leave much space inside for a chick to develop.

If you wait until she has been laying for a while, she will lay bigger eggs, which usually work better for hatching.

(Of course, which eggs to hatch does not solve the problem of what to do with cockerels, which was your original question.)

This forum has a sale & rehoming section. You could try that, in addition to the other things that have been suggested.
I didn’t even realize this site had that, thank you 🙏 and thank you for telling me about the size of the eggs, I didn’t know that either

I've never heard of processing livestock animals being illegal??
(but selling meat is)
Welcome to America! :hmm

Yep, where I used in live in the city, within city limits.. (Bakersfield, California. USA) hens were allowed (with spacial restrictions), roosters were not, and all processing or harvesting of animals was against the law. It was included in code enforcement.

Here, it's legal.. I still try not to flaunt it to my neighbors and their kids.

To the OP... @Winterland

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Consider to slow down and enjoy your current adventure.. 22 weeks is still extremely young for any flock or keeper and problems spread faster the more birds you add. Survive your fist winter and learn what these birds are teaching you. Your ladies may still choose to sit and hatch.. they just aren't there yet. And boy will them boys still change.

There's plenty of time for hatching.. cockerels are guaranteed. Don't hatch until you have a solid plan and maybe a solid plan B for the boys.

Some people keeps a stag pen with only boys. That would be a lot of crowing and lots of feed over time.. but I mentioned it anyways.. Noting "what will I do with the boys" is the number one question any reasonable/responsible person should be asking themselves. :thumbsup

I have no idea if it's legal where I live and I dont intend to find out. Government really is too big for its britches. I can see not having a slaughterhouse in your garage but culling a rooster should be legal everywhere its legal to buy frozen chicken.

I have no idea if it's legal where I live and I dont intend to find out. Government really is too big for its britches. I can see not having a slaughterhouse in your garage but culling a rooster should be legal everywhere its legal to buy frozen chicken.

Do you mean your local government is too big for its britches?
I just wanted to mention this because I keep seeing people ragging on federal government for state or local laws. If there was "less government" federally then oppressive local laws is exactly what you'd see more of.
There's no federal or state law against processing your own livestock to keep for your own consumption. Code enforcement isn't really based on laws, it's a code so they can only fine you. And it's really hard to enforce something like an already eaten bird...

Do you mean your local government is too big for its britches?
I just wanted to mention this because I keep seeing people ragging on federal government for state or local laws. If there was "less government" federally then oppressive local laws is exactly what you'd see more of.
There's no federal or state law against processing your own livestock to keep for your own consumption. Code enforcement isn't really based on laws, it's a code so they can only fine you. And it's really hard to enforce something like an already eaten bird...
Both lol! My local government is useless at best and detrimental for the most part. I have no idea if its legal to slaughter your own birds in my city but I do know its illegal to shoot raccoons (mostly because its illegal to fire a gun in city limits) but the city will do nothing to exterminate raccoons which are a huge problem. Which leads me to the conclusion that if local government is inept than government on a greater scale is more inept. The older I get, the more of an anarchist I become lol.

If indeed it is against the law to slaughter your own birds in the situation in question then I also dont see how it could be enforced so it seems like a waste of tax payer money to pay someone to write the law. And that is the problem-we pay taxes and have no say in how that money is used. Which is why the road I drive to work every day is full of potholes and people are afraid to cull chickens. If, however, your chickens get bird flu the federal government will undoubtedly flaut local ordinance, code or law to dispatch of your birds on your property.

Ifa will take unwanted roosters as long as no avian flu is present. Ifa has a list of people wanting roosters only. You just have to talk to ifa to find out which stores in your area has rooster drop off. I have heard tsc is starting it as well.

Facebook does not allow the sale of live animals.

Craigslist is the better option.

You might also look into any local zoos that might need chickens for their raptors or other animals.
I don't think op wants them to die that's why she won't slaughter them

Back
Top Bottom