1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

If I.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mahsmaj, Jun 12, 2010.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    If I breed two silkie crosses together, will some of their offspring have silkied feathers?

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    If the silkie crosses are bred back to a silkie I believe they would. Not sure about the breeding of a silkie cross to a silkie cross, hoping someone comes along to help you out. [​IMG]

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    yes, a certain percent would, that is, if both of the parents had atleast one silkied parent

4. swedishfish

swedishfish Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    ok. using 9th grade biology here....

if both silke crosses were from purebred silkies and purebred whatever you crossed them with, their trait would be something like S for silkie feathers and n for normal feathers. Breeding these two together, you would get:

S n
    S SS Sn

n Sn nn

I think. Genes are really tricky. And depending on whether the n or the S is dominant, each chick would have about a 75% chance of having silkie feathers (assuming the silkie feathers are dominant). But that doesn't mean 75% of your chicks will be sillkie-ish, just that each chick has that much of a chance. You could get all normal feathered chicks.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:this is correct, and the silkied gene is resessive, so you would get 25% silkie, 50% smooth split for silkie , and 25% pure smooth freatherd offspring incapable of producing silkied chicks

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:this is correct, and the silkied gene is resessive, so you would get 25% silkie, 50% smooth split for silkie , and 25% pure smooth freatherd offspring incapable of producing silkied chicks

Agreed; however the correct gene abbreviations are H+ for non-silkied feathers and h for silkied feathers. h is for hookless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by