If I.....

If the silkie crosses are bred back to a silkie I believe they would. Not sure about the breeding of a silkie cross to a silkie cross, hoping someone comes along to help you out.
smile.png

ok. using 9th grade biology here....

if both silke crosses were from purebred silkies and purebred whatever you crossed them with, their trait would be something like S for silkie feathers and n for normal feathers. Breeding these two together, you would get:

S n
S SS Sn

n Sn nn

I think. Genes are really tricky. And depending on whether the n or the S is dominant, each chick would have about a 75% chance of having silkie feathers (assuming the silkie feathers are dominant). But that doesn't mean 75% of your chicks will be sillkie-ish, just that each chick has that much of a chance. You could get all normal feathered chicks.

Quote:
this is correct, and the silkied gene is resessive, so you would get 25% silkie, 50% smooth split for silkie , and 25% pure smooth freatherd offspring incapable of producing silkied chicks

Quote:
this is correct, and the silkied gene is resessive, so you would get 25% silkie, 50% smooth split for silkie , and 25% pure smooth freatherd offspring incapable of producing silkied chicks

Agreed; however the correct gene abbreviations are H+ for non-silkied feathers and h for silkied feathers. h is for hookless

Back
Top Bottom