If my thermometer says 99.1......

Quote:
Is this really true? I read that temperatures can fluctuate in the 'bator from time to time and it is normal. Would a .5º up or down from time to time really have an effect on growth rate? I mean every time we open the 'bator we are dropping the temp for a period of time, no?

~chicmom FYI: Last night I did a test with a good quality cooking thermometer. The kind you stick in a roast and the wire comes out of the oven to a digital read out.
I submersed the tip into a pot of water and brought it to a boil. When it hit 212º it stopped... would go to 213º and then immediately back down to 212º again. I watched this for a brief bit and it was consistent.
This told me that this was a very accurate device. So, I brought it downstairs to my 'bator and put it in the vent hole. My glass thermo was reading 100º. This cooking thermometer slowly came up to temp and read........................100º! So, I'm satisfied. Although I then tweeked my little spindle one more time and it reads somewhere between 90º-100º. It is hard to read.

Quote:
I used to get wild temp swings in my Rcom when it was turning one way or the other - turns out the fan was faulty and as soon as I replaced it the temps were back to being rock steady. You might want to check your fan.

I also went back and looked at the specs on the Thermo/Hygro I have in my bator for Humidity. It is designed to be +/- 1% for Humidity and +/-1.8º for Temp.

Quote:
Hi Steve, thanks for sharing that info......You are truly my twin......LOL I SAY I'm not worried about the temp anymore, but I still am!
roll.png

Quote:
The average incubation temperature of the eggs is what counts. The eggs are pretty dense and hold the temperature fairly well. Short fluctuations won't affect the egg internal temperature, like opening the incubator or candling.

Quote:
The average incubation temperature of the eggs is what counts. The eggs are pretty dense and hold the temperature fairly well. Short fluctuations won't affect the egg internal temperature, like opening the incubator or candling.

What about tweaking a temp between 99º and 100º for the first 4 days? I'm talking 10ths of a degree up and down trying to get it just so. I can't imagine that would be too damaging - assuming I leave it alone for the most part going forward... ??????????

The early days are important. I took these from the link below to demonstrate that.

Of course you can tweek it. I'm not going to come by and slap your hands. I don't do everything exactly by the book either. If you are aware of the risks and you make an informed decision, that is certainly your business.

45.Sign: Missing eye(s), other eye abnormalities. Causes:

a.High incubator temperature during days 1 to 6.

b.Low oxygen during days 1 to 6.30.

47.Sign: Exposed brain. Causes:

a.High incubator temperature during days 1 to 3.

b.Low oxygen during days 1 to 3.

Florida Incubation Troubleshooting
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

Um, that was NOT reassuring.......now I'm worried that my chicks will have exposed brains or no eyeballs........frankenchicks......

You ought to read through that link to see what can happen, but that is what I mean by analyzing it after the hatch.

Whe I first got my incubator, it ran hot. It took a while to get it right. I never had chicks with those kinds of problems. I got pretty good hatches but they did hatch two days early.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong, but they are tough little critters and can usually handle a lot of different conditions. Some people can't help worrying. It is just the way they are. But really, odds are things will go pretty well for you, even if conditions are not exactly perfect.

Back
Top Bottom