If two roosters mate with the same hen, which one fertilizes the eggs?

Quote:
But can't a hen lay multiple fertilized eggs as a result of a single mating?

Yes, but only 1 sperm will fertilize one egg. So, you could have a hen that lays an egg one day fertilized by one roo and the next day by another roo, but you will not have one egg fertilized by both, unless it was a double yoker that potential got fertilized by each roo...but the chances of that would have to be insane.

Quote:
But can't a hen lay multiple fertilized eggs as a result of a single mating?

Yes, but only 1 sperm will fertilize one egg. So, you could have a hen that lays an egg one day fertilized by one roo and the next day by another roo, but you will not have one egg fertilized by both, unless it was a double yoker that potential got fertilized by each roo...but the chances of that would have to be insane.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for your help!

This happened with a hen in my flock. She stole a nest and emerged 3 weeks later with 10 chicks. Eight of them looked like one of my bantam roos, but 2 others looked like the Americana roo. But they all had distinguishing features of the hen too, so I was certain the eggs were all hers. But it was apparant she was "dating" 2 different roos at the time.

Quote:
That's very interesting. I suppose it could be advantageous if you wanted to hatch one clutch with both roosters instead of having to hatch one for each. What breed was the mother?

The hen was a Silver-Spangled Hamburg. A mid-sized hen, white with shiny black spots, and big dark eyes. Eight of the chicks were black with white lacing & had short legs, some of them feathered, like a bantam Cochin roo I have. Two were larger, black with white & with gold lacing, with beards & ear muffs like the Americana roo, and with big dark eyes like the Mama.

Back
Top Bottom