If you breed an EE to...

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
Im curious, if you breed an EE to another breed, like a barred rock or a black andalusian, what are the offspring considered?
What are they likely to look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
EE's are a mutt so you have an EE still.We have had several barred chicks this year from my BR hens.I presently have a Delaware Cross that looks very much like a Delaware but has the pea comb like Dad-he just may remain living here
smile.png
My RIR have been mostly the reds with brown.Hatchery EE's are crosses as well that's why not all lay the green/blue eggs.
My EE and or Ameraucana are my roos-we have both and the hens are the other breeds.Some of my chicks-hopefully most will lay colored eggs but if not crossed back to color those will hopefully and will lay better and bigger eggs from the out crossing.

They're still EEs. The barred crosses will mainly be barred, as it is a very dominant gene. Crossing black will give either more black or split. The offspring will also carry beards if the EE does, and a pea comb if the EE does.

In terms of egg, it will also be the same - If your EE has genes for a blue-green egg, the offspring will give green eggs. If your EE has green eggs, offspring will have green or brown. If the EE has brown eggs - Offspring will have brown. As for blue, I have never heard of and doubt there are EEs with a true blue egg. But, blue and brown make a blue-green to green.
smile.png

I bought 1 EE X Barred Rock and 1 EE X black andalusian chick today.
All of the chicks appear to have pea combs.
The one thats a barried rock X ee looks just like a barred rock chick,but with a pea comb.

I bought 4 chicks the other day, 2 look like EEs, 1 looks like a barred rock and 1 is black with a white spot on his belly.
All have pea combs.
The barred rock looking one came from a barred rock egg, but since it has a pea comb, is there a chance that the rooster was an EE.
The pen had EEs(roos & hens), barred rocks and a Blue Andalusian rooster.
Whts the chance the the black one is a black Andalusian X EE cross.

An EE is any mix that carries the gene to lay colored eggs. Since that gene is dominant every hen that carries it will lay colored eggs. I don't think it's accurate to call a random mix that is laying brown eggs an EE. It lacks the main characteristic that gives them the name easter eggers. All you have at that point is your typical mutt chicken aka barnyard mix.

Quote:
Thats what I thought, but the someone told me that EE's can lay just brown eggs, so then I got confused
idunno.gif

So if I end up with some hens (hopefully I do) if they lay colored eggs, then they are EE's, if they dont then they are just mixes,right?

Back
Top Bottom