If you could add two chickens to your backyard flock what would they be?

I have 2 silver laced wyandottes and although they don't run up to me like my 2 buff orps,they're not mean at all. My orps I absolutely love! They're like puppies! My fav breed! My buff orp roo and ee roo are pretty chill. All 6 live together and get along. I have a buff orp/light brahma mix chick that will be added to the flock,and I plan on hatching out ee and slw mix chicks and keeping 2.if I could get any other 2 breeds though,i'd probably get a buff wyandotte and a lavender orp. They're average layers that just look pretty!

Delawares! They produce reliably. They have been easy to maintain and (aside from muddy days), their white feathers really let them stand out. I wish I had more, because the eggs are larger than my average barred rock or Wyandotte eggs. On top of all that, they are really friendly, which is nice when you have a bunch of kids helping out with chores. They are very curious, though, and my kids think they are protecting their eggs, but in reality they are just checking out the basket. I have a couple that will fly up and perch on my arm if I stick around long enough!

I would add a Buff Orrington & Speckled Sussex as they have very wonderful & sweet
Personallities !! I have one Buff O. & 2 Speckled Sussex !! Great Egg layers as well !!! :)
I have many other Breeds as well ! I plan on adding 12 more chicks to the crew this
Coming March , here on Whidbey Island , WA.

I would add a Buff Orrington & Speckled Sussex as they have very wonderful & sweet
Personallities !! I have one Buff O. & 2 Speckled Sussex !! Great Egg layers as well !!! :)
I have many other Breeds as well ! I plan on adding 12 more chicks to the crew this
Coming March , here on Whidbey Island , WA.
Howdy! I'm in Washington too! I'm adding Bielefelders in March.

COCHINS!!!!
We LOVE our Cochins! They are friendly! They are fluffy! They lay eggs! They act like a part of the family. Kid you not. When they want attention, the 4 Cochins all come up to the back door and peck at the glass window until someone goes outside to pet them. We have Americanas, Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex and Cochins. The Cochins are our family favorite.

Most of the breeds I want...I already have coming in april....if anything im gonna get bantams from tsc this spring. And two ducks as mine all died but one. The breeds I have coming are
Blrw
White wyandotte
Columbian wyandotte
Easter eggers
And 1 slw to go with my other one.
Hoping they come alive this year unlike last year.

Buckeyes, they are a dual purpose breed that are cold weather tolerant. My main flock is 40 buff Orpington hens and 20 white leghorn hens, plus a few buckeye hens. I've gotten rid of most of the roosters except for three Buckeyes and a couple leghorn/americauana mixes. I plan on separating the breeds in the spring and use the buckeye rooster to mix with the buff Orpington and white leghorns to see if I can get some interesting layers.
Russ

ugh! I had just talked myself out of Buckeyes! Now I am thinking well maybe? I have a Bielefelder rooster, who really produced some good eating roos, and I loved the color pattern of the feather, just disappears on the prairie. I just crossed him over riff raft. But the hens seem very slow to lay...

Last edited:
I was raising a batch of buckeyes a couple years ago and like them. Then a friend made an offer it was hard to turn down for them. Plus he threw in some Bourbon Red turkeys on top of that. Then traded four of the best BR's for a Llama... What was I thinking??? At least he keeps the kids entertained... I like the Buckeye's a good bit. When I came to Kansas with the Army, I never thought I would stay here. I bought a farm in 2006 and started with chickens the next spring. Russ

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
&
Sebright

I just ordered them, plus 6 other varieties to compliment my heritage breed flock.

Now I'm going to have:

Serama,
Buff Orpington,
RhodeIslandRed,
Black Sex-linked,
Anconda,
Americauna,
Easter Eggers,
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte,
Leghorn,
Black Australorp,
Red sex-linked,
Silver Laced Wyandotte,
Plymouth Rock,
Buff laced Polish,
Silver laced polish,
Sebright,
And some mutt-birds.

After my most recent order, I'll have 12+22+3+32= 69!!!

Chickens are addicting! Newcomers believe this, it is fact.

My favorites are Serama. They are squat for egg production (lay marbles) but they sit on my shoulder like a parrot and follow me around. It's almost like they 'imprint' on you.

Back
Top Bottom