If you could add two chickens to your backyard flock what would they be?

Just added four new girls to my flock last wk,they are aprox same age as my silver laced wyandottes and my jersey Giant Roo,I added two red Orpingtons,and a lavender/black cross Orpington,and a Maline! All doing just fine and getting along well ! Had 16 Buff Orpingtons in the past,and really enjoyed them,very good large brown egg layers and very docile! 1138 Oh and very cold hardy as well!

I have Black Australorps and they are great egg layers. Low on the pecking order, though, so keep that in mind when introducing them to more aggressive flock members. My very favorite birds, though, are Buckeyes. They're gentle and very people-friendly. They're also an American heritage breed and somewhat endangered. They're good sized but won't eat you out of house and home like Brahma or Jersey Giant. They lay really well and also could be used for meat.

I love my barredrocks, orpingtons and Easter eggers. I have 2 silver laced wyandottes which are not friendly and pushy with the others. I also have 2 golden laced wyandottes which so sweet and beautiful. Neither is a great egg layer though. I love Easter eggers but it can be difficult picking that actually lay blue eggs. Best of luck.

I'm adding buff and barred rock + silver and Colombian Wyandotte. To a flock of black Cochin, black+ a white giant, gold Wyandotte, 2x RIR and 2 silver/white Easter eggers.

Would like to add one with chocolate eggs. And a buckeye chick.

I've liked the previous two wyandottes i had. They got retired this past December. One silver one blue.

Some of my chickens are getting old, so I'd probably like a couple sexlinks for their big eggs, a Brahma for huggability and some easter eggers to add variety to the colors in the carton. For beauty, a partridge or phoenix rooster, and for dependable lay-til-you-die eggers, the leghorns. For the best friends, Speckled Sussex.

Some of my chickens are getting old, so I'd probably like a couple sexlinks for their big eggs, a Brahma for huggability and some easter eggers to add variety to the colors in the carton.  For beauty, a partridge or phoenix rooster, and for dependable lay-til-you-die eggers, the leghorns. For the best friends, Speckled Sussex.
I really like your descriptions!

A Cream Legbar and a Black Copper Maran. They lay the most beautiful eggs. I have plenty of hens and I get a colorful egg basket but the eggs from these two breeds would be a nice addition.

Silver laced wyandottes are my least favorite breed. My experience has been that they are mean and aggressive to other hens and standoffish to people. They are pretty, but I will not add anymore to my flock.

Back
Top Bottom