If you could add two chickens to your backyard flock what would they be?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PlanterJeff, Jan 4, 2016.

1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Too Many Chickens Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015

Not all are like this, but my SLW was really nasty and bullied the others relentlessly. Got rid of her and peace was restored!
    Beautiful birds, though.

If I had to pick any two, I'd go with a sultan hen (very docile and beautiful, but not fantastic layers) and another OEGB. Not sure what pattern, though, they are all beautiful.

Brahmas are a great flock addition, but really poor layers. Eye candy, just like sultans. :)
    Good luck finding a good breed for you!

Edit: if price were not a concern, probably isabelle leghorn, ayam cemani, la fleche, or.... (Oh wait, you said 2.) :oops:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. Lickin Chicken

Lickin Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    Wilbar, NC
    I Like Buff Orpingtons. Big, beautiful chickens with large eggs. I also like Dominiques for particularly the same reason.

2 people like this.
  3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

T
    They are very pretty birds. Mine are lower in my coops pecking order, not bullies at all. Out of 10 pullets they are probably in rank at 3 and 4. I don't know about their laying abilities yet, they are only 16 weeks old. I'd still pick an Australorp over them. The green shimmer is very pretty and it's a calm big bird.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of "Chicken Math"! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Personal experience with Wyandottes is that they have been rather aggressive in my mixed flock and caused injury to other birds.

If you like the look of the silvers check out the Dark Brahma. [​IMG] [​IMG] Totally enabling the chicken math to take full hold.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't like Wyadottes either. They were bullies in my coop and didnot lay impressive eggs either.

1 person likes this.
  7. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I would love to have an Ayam Cemani and a couple of Seramas.

1 person likes this.
  8. PlanterJeff

PlanterJeff Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    I just found some 3 week old blue partridge brahma chicks. I may have found my first addition.

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I think you will like them. Don't go getting all shocked lol they get BIG and they can look like they are being stern all the time.
    [​IMG]
    Just for fun here is a pic of a couple of mine. The one on the left is a Dark Brahma. The white one is my light brahma. The butt lol on the right of the pic is a partridge rock behind.

10. StevenW

StevenW New Egg

Jul 5, 2012
    one more Americauna, and another Rhode Island Red.....no reason, I just like em'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by