If you could add two chickens to your backyard flock what would they be?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PlanterJeff, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I love my brahma girls. They are sweeties.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Wow - that's a nice gesture, but yes, getting past customs without being fleeced is a challenge at the best of times. I'm currently in the uk and considered taking some eggs back but decided it was too much hassle as I had to time the eggs with my broody.

Ct

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. I forgot to add that I have a Red Sex Link, she's a very pretty and very friendly bird.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j True BYC Addict

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Two?? I can only add two?? Oh, gosh! I can't help you out. I'm actually looking at ordering 6 different breeds for this spring. I've had light Brahmas and they are very sweet, docile birds. That would make a good pet-like chicken for you. If you like a colorful egg basket, Welsummers lay a very pretty dark brown egg. That's one of the breeds I'm looking at. I can't say anything about sex-links as I've never had them.

5. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    I'd like to try a RIR and a Speckled Sussex, to mix with my flock to be of barred rocks, buff orpingtons (10 weeks), and welsummer bantams (10 weeks). A mix of good mommas and excellent layers!

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge True BYC Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I agree with bobbi j.
    So hard to decide on only 2.

For me I like the Brahma even though they eat a LOT. Mine are docile and get along with everyone in the coop. The bantams are not pushed around by them either. I have only had mine about 10 months now but they are very nice so far.

If I am looking for docile and good layer I would add Black Austrlorp for sure. Nice bird that is not pushy or overly dominant.

Still only 2 ........ to hard to choose just 2.

7. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, I have decided. If I could ONLY pick two chickens in the world, I would pick...

AUSTRALORP

AND ANY ORPINGTON!

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have so many different breeds as it is, I would probably add some different colored bantam cochins and d'uccle, I like the little guys.

9. Coopmom56

Coopmom56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    We are looking to add some pullets this spring. Mr. Coopmom wants a RIR and I want an EE or two. Maybe also a Buff Orpington or a Marans. We currently have 4 hens of uncertain parentage, whom are all awesome, but I'd like to have some different breeds.

10. PlanterJeff

PlanterJeff Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    I should never have posted this, because now I am searching Welsummers, Brahma's,and Australorps, along with many other breeds. It is going to be very hard to settle on two. I may scratch the sexlinks and go with three. What do you all think about Wyandottes? I saw some silverlaced ones on craigslist and they looked pretty. Are they good birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by