If you could add two chickens to your backyard flock what would they be?

I should never have posted this, because now I am searching Welsummers, Brahma's,and Australorps, along with many other breeds.  It is going to be very hard to settle on two.  I may scratch the sexlinks and go with three.  What do you all think about Wyandottes?  I saw some silverlaced ones on craigslist and they looked pretty.  Are they good birds?

Not all are like this, but my SLW was really nasty and bullied the others relentlessly. Got rid of her and peace was restored!
Beautiful birds, though.

If I had to pick any two, I'd go with a sultan hen (very docile and beautiful, but not fantastic layers) and another OEGB. Not sure what pattern, though, they are all beautiful.

Brahmas are a great flock addition, but really poor layers. Eye candy, just like sultans. :)
Good luck finding a good breed for you!

Edit: if price were not a concern, probably isabelle leghorn, ayam cemani, la fleche, or.... (Oh wait, you said 2.) :oops:

Last edited:
T
I should never have posted this, because now I am searching Welsummers, Brahma's,and Australorps, along with many other breeds.  It is going to be very hard to settle on two.  I may scratch the sexlinks and go with three.  What do you all think about Wyandottes?  I saw some silverlaced ones on craigslist and they looked pretty.  Are they good birds?

They are very pretty birds. Mine are lower in my coops pecking order, not bullies at all. Out of 10 pullets they are probably in rank at 3 and 4. I don't know about their laying abilities yet, they are only 16 weeks old. I'd still pick an Australorp over them. The green shimmer is very pretty and it's a calm big bird.

I should never have posted this, because now I am searching Welsummers, Brahma's,and Australorps, along with many other breeds. It is going to be very hard to settle on two. I may scratch the sexlinks and go with three. What do you all think about Wyandottes? I saw some silverlaced ones on craigslist and they looked pretty. Are they good birds?
Welcome to the wonderful world of "Chicken Math"!
lau.gif

Personal experience with Wyandottes is that they have been rather aggressive in my mixed flock and caused injury to other birds.

If you like the look of the silvers check out the Dark Brahma.
big_smile.png
cool.png
Totally enabling the chicken math to take full hold.

I just found some 3 week old blue partridge brahma chicks. I may have found my first addition.

I think you will like them. Don't go getting all shocked lol they get BIG and they can look like they are being stern all the time.

Just for fun here is a pic of a couple of mine. The one on the left is a Dark Brahma. The white one is my light brahma. The butt lol on the right of the pic is a partridge rock behind.

Back
Top Bottom